New suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookwurm1982

5 Year Member
I have a baby sulcata tortoise. His name is Sheliford and I have had him since December 3rd. He was about a month or two when I got him so he is probably about around 5 months. He seems to be doing great. His weight last night was 118 grams. Everyday he gets a mixture of zoomed tortoise pellets, spring mix, endive, cilantro, and collard greens. I am happy with what I am feeding him because he likes all of it and is growing but just wondering if there is anything I could buy that would keep for at least a week or longer and that is good for him. For a while there he had a lot of oxalates and I think it might of been the watercress so I stopped feeding him that. Anyway I love to buy the endive because it stays fresh a lot longer than some of the other stuff. Since he is the only one that eats most of this stuff I hate buying it and having a lot of it go bad. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
The best way to get greens to last would be to grow them yourself. In doing so, you can just harvest what you need to feed. If this is not doable, get more tortoises. If you have enough tortoises, you can have the problem of not being able to keep enough greens long enough to feed everyone. Or, what I find to be the most distasteful, uninspiring alternative, you could learn to eat them yourself. LOL. hope this helps some?

bookwurm1982

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
The best way to get greens to last would be to grow them yourself. In doing so, you can just harvest what you need to feed. If this is not doable, get more tortoises. If you have enough tortoises, you can have the problem of not being able to keep enough greens long enough to feed everyone. Or, what I find to be the most distasteful, uninspiring alternative, you could learn to eat them yourself. LOL. hope this helps some?

Haha thanks for the advice. Well I would like to grow some myself but don't really have time to tend to it. So that also rules out getting another tortoise. Three dogs, a fish tank full of fish and one tortoise is enough for right now :) I love cilantro but only my son and I eat it so we still have to much. As for the other stuff...well I'm kinda picky. Anyway I was just hoping someone could think of something that lasts a while like the endive. That stuff is great. I guess I will continue to feed him what I do and when it is warm enough he can eat grass and weeds out of the yard.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Maybe for the bunching type greens, you could make a fresh cut at the base of the bunch, then keep them in a glass with 1/2" or so water in a sunny window. That may help.

bookwurm1982

5 Year Member
lkwagner said:
Cactus pads keep for a while... If you can find them

HHmmm I never thought about that but yeah I would think they could keep for a while. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cowboy_Ken said:
Maybe for the bunching type greens, you could make a fresh cut at the base of the bunch, then keep them in a glass with 1/2" or so water in a sunny window. That may help.

I'm gonna have to try that. Thanks for the suggestion :)

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
what i do when i buy the bunches of greens is wash them and dry them really well with paper towels and either keep them wrapped in paper towel or put them in a spring mix container. also, if you can find a small vegetable store (not a grocery store) near you would probably find smaller bunches and waste less.

bookwurm1982

5 Year Member
stinax182 said:
what i do when i buy the bunches of greens is wash them and dry them really well with paper towels and either keep them wrapped in paper towel or put them in a spring mix container. also, if you can find a small vegetable store (not a grocery store) near you would probably find smaller bunches and waste less.

Great, thanks :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh, this is making me laugh. In about 6 months you are going to have the opposite problem. :D Hahahahahaha.

bookwurm1982

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Oh, this is making me laugh. In about 6 months you are going to have the opposite problem. :D Hahahahahaha.

Yeah I guess I'll be complaining about the opposite problem in a few months :) At least by then my grass will be green.

Team Gomberg said:
Tom said:

lol

OP, you'll have to update us when this is the case..

Yep, sure will. I think when it gets to that point I'll just have to buy a big bale of hay.

Status
Not open for further replies.