New Sulcata Mom :)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
I've only got four, well three, real neighbors here and 2 of those bring weeds from their organic gardens for feeding the torts here on the Tortoise Ranch. I've got one who will call to say, "Grandkids are up Ken. Can we come up for a field-trip and feeding time?" I always say yes. The kids get so much out of theses encounters. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1446439494.943205.jpg

gg888

England
Thank you, but let's be honest people are treated like they are idiots, not exactly welcoming when someone bashes everything you say, not knowing your background. I am a certified Vet Tech and a past Suffolk County NY Animal Control Officer, I left those jobs because I could no longer watch all of the neglect and abuse. I now choose to spend my time teaching people the proper care and feeding of there dogs and cats. Not all new reptile owners are as stupid as people like to make them feel.
Welcome to the forum! I've got a lot of respect for somebody who has worked with neglected and abused animals. There's so much conflicting information about tortoises on the internet, and even with experienced breeders. Good luck with doctor :) (great name by the way!!)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most of my research was on this forum, months before I joined, thank you for thinking I was naive enough to ask an "expert" at some place like "petsmart" :(

Now how could I have possibly known that? How could I know what your level of experience or ability is?

Do you know how many people come here and tell us how much "research" they've done, and usually they really have spent a lot of time reading and trying to learn, and then we see their set up. They were told somewhere that rabbit pellets were a good substrate, or that romaine was a good diet, or that sulcatats get all their water from the food they eat since they come from a desert, or that its fine to let the tortoise roam the house… etc...

The goal here was not to insult you, but to help you if you needed it, as most people do. I certainly did when I was starting out. I wish somebody would have told me the things I just told you 25 years ago. You asked some beginner questions and are engaging in some beginner practices. Forgive me for thinking that you might be a beginner and you'd appreciate some experience based tips.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Amy, the Doctor's Companion, eh ??
Got a Rory in your life?;)
Hello , and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Doctor.
Enjoying the new series ?

Doctors Companion

Now how could I have possibly known that? How could I know what your level of experience or ability is?

Do you know how many people come here and tell us how much "research" they've done, and usually they really have spent a lot of time reading and trying to learn, and then we see their set up. They were told somewhere that rabbit pellets were a good substrate, or that romaine was a good diet, or that sulcatats get all their water from the food they eat since they come from a desert, or that its fine to let the tortoise roam the house… etc...

The goal here was not to insult you, but to help you if you needed it, as most people do. I certainly did when I was starting out. I wish somebody would have told me the things I just told you 25 years ago. You asked some beginner questions and are engaging in some beginner practices. Forgive me for thinking that you might be a beginner and you'd appreciate some experience based tips.

Thank you Tom.....and trust me, when it comes to making decisions about Doctor. ....you WILL BE the one I ask :)