New Sulcata Owner! (:

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
If you do a search for closed chambers you’ll see how many options you have though ultimately you’ll need a very large adult enclosure which is costly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wont covering it with tinfoil reduce air?
That is the idea. The air in that room is too dry and too cool. Having an open top allows your warm humid air to escape up and into the room.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Here is a pic of what I linked. Its an xmas tree tote you can get at Wal-Mart to use as a closed chamber. If you Google xmas tree totes its one of the first ones that pop up

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-05-29-16-56-26.png
    Screenshot_2018-05-29-16-56-26.png
    193.2 KB · Views: 12
P

pguinpro

You mean instead of the 20 gallon tank? I worked so hard building everything lol maybe I'll just use the cover.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Ya, that tort is going to be to big for that tank literally in a couple months. They grow fast.

daniellenc

Maryland
You mean instead of the 20 gallon tank? I worked so hard building everything lol maybe I'll just use the cover.

I know you got bad info but many of us did despite tireless research. Return what you can and work on a larger enclosure. In the meantime use a cheap large tote while you save. Ideally a sulcata will need a lot of square footage (reason I don’t have one). To grow properly and be happy you’ll be sacrificing a lot of room for him or her so might as well start now. $38 tote from Walmart and start planning indoor and outdoor space because you’ll soon need it. Before you know he’ll be pooping turds three times the size he is now lol.

P

pguinpro

In an open top table you’ll have to add water several times a day. You can fashion a lid though and cut a hole for your basking lights. Look at the Christmas tree plastic totes at Walmart $38 will give you a closed chamber that’s much easier to maintain.
I have birds outside all the time blue Jays and blackbirds how soon do you think I'll need a bigger space? He's 5 weeks old now.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I have birds outside all the time blue Jays and blackbirds how soon do you think I'll need a bigger space? He's 5 weeks old now.
I don't keep Sulcatas I can't tell you for sure, but It won't be long. @Jay Bagley how fast has Sheldon grown?

daniellenc

Maryland
By 6 months he’ll need a 4x4 enclosure at MINIMUM. I’ve always wanted one but my climate would require him to have indoor housing near half the year. As adults they need at least 1/4 acre to one sulcata. I have a yard but that’s about all of it so I went with a redfoot instead. Now when I hit the lottery I’ll be @ALDABRAMAN neighbor lmao.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
By 6 months he’ll need a 4x4 enclosure at MINIMUM. I’ve always wanted one but my climate would require him to have indoor housing near half the year. As adults they need at least 1/4 acre to one sulcata. I have a yard but that’s about all of it so I went with a redfoot instead. Now when I hit the lottery I’ll be @ALDABRAMAN neighbor lmao.
Same here, when I die I want to come back as one of @ALDABRAMAN torts.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I don't keep Sulcatas I can't tell you for sure, but It won't be long. @Jay Bagley how fast has Sheldon grown?
Hey, just saw this. In my opinion, I think a lot of it depends on how they're kept, and how they're fed. He went from his hatchling weight to only 1lb even the two and a half years he stayed with my daughter at my ex's. I got him back November of 2017 and he has already gained roughly 6 1/2 lbs. I think the right conditions and the right diet they can have tremendous growth.

minnesota
Hey, just saw this. In my opinion, I think a lot of it depends on how they're kept, and how they're fed. He went from his hatchling weight to only 1lb even the two and a half years he stayed with my daughter at my ex's. I got him back November of 2017 and he has already gained roughly 6 1/2 lbs. I think the right conditions and the right diet they can have tremendous growth.
I have 2 sulcatas- 1 yearling and 1 three year old. I think the biggest growth spurt for either of of them has been in the past year with my 3 year old who is now 11 inches, 8 pounds. My yearling is still small (growing steady though) and Is at the same weight my 3 year old was at that age