New sulcata owner

G-dog

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Hi everyone. I bought my first sulcata baby a month ago. I decided to join a forum so I can get all the information I can from others who own tortoises, and to get advice to make sure I am giving my hatchling the best care possible.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Awesome! Read all the top threads in the sulcata section . Pay attention to Tom's post he knows his stuff .

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the forum. You have landed in the right place. There is no shortage of sulcata info and discussion here. Show us some pictures of your new baby and it's enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

G-dog

Oklahoma
I've been able to find a ton of information on how to care for, house and feed a hatchling sulcata, but nothing on hatchling behavior, so I don't know if mine is acting as expected. My hatchling it about 12 weeks old. It prefers the warm end of its enclosure (95-98) , but does explore the cool end (77-79) occasionally. Some days it is very active and some days it prefers to sleep a lot. Some days it eats a lot, some days not so much. It appears very healthy looking. I soak it every day for about 15 minutes and take it outside every day for 15 minutes. So, do you all think it is doing what babies do? I just love this little tort so much and I want to make sure I am doing everything correctly. Thanks

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
sounds like normal behavior to me, i think you are doing great though you did not mention anything about humidity! sulcatas need at the very least a humid hide and also a basking area!

G-dog

Oklahoma
I have both a basking area and a cool end and the UV light. For substrate I am using a mixture of organic top soil mixed with coconut husks. I keep the substrate moist, in the hide, also. Tibby usually sleeps in the hide, but sometimes digs a burrow in the corner at the warm end and sleep there. I keep a night heat source on, too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

G-dog

Oklahoma
The light is a UVB, but puts out some UVA, too, if I remember correctly. The cocoanut stuff I'm talking about is for reptile tanks. It's the kind that is compressed and you soak in water. Also I've read mixed advice on the Mazuri pellets. They are only 18% fiber, so doesn't sound all that good to me. Any opinions on this?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The light is a UVB, but puts out some UVA, too, if I remember correctly. The cocoanut stuff I'm talking about is for reptile tanks. It's the kind that is compressed and you soak in water. Also I've read mixed advice on the Mazuri pellets. They are only 18% fiber, so doesn't sound all that good to me. Any opinions on this?

The coil type cfl bulbs can damage their eyes. Just making sure the pet store didn't sell you one of those.

Those compressed bricks of substrate are great. Make it very thick and then hand pack it down for best results. It will be less messy in about two weeks.

The ingredients list for Mazuri impresses no one, but the results from feeding it are universally admired.

G-dog

Oklahoma
I am so glad I joined this forum. You all are clearly tort lovers. I do have another question about calcium. Again, tons of info out there. My hatchling loves to nibble on her cuttlebone. Do I new to add even more calcium to her greens? I have been putting a tiny bit on her food everyday and a tiny bit of a multivitamin twice a week. I've read they can get too much calcium.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I was told calcium could do more harm than good, but I am still a newbie so hopefully someone can help both of out. :)