New sulcata tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonlight1437

5 Year Member
Just want to share a little about how i raise my first sulcata tortoise. He is 3 months old.

I never had experience raising a tortoise except I have two aquatic turtles. I believe you can never provide the exact environment where they came from, so just try to provide as much as we can. Natural resource is the key.

Well, I bought everything, tank, glow lamp light, cute little hut, all kinds of accessories for my tortoise. And I put the tank right next to my room windows so tortoise can receive sunlight 24/7, if he finds the light is too bright, he will go into the little hut.

One thing i have decided, I'm not going to use the glow lamp light since he receives sunlight 24/7. I tried using the lamp but he hates it because it too bright. So I figured, it really not necessary to use a lamp since he can get sunlight. Another thing was temperature, i know sulcata came from a hot dry environment but too hot for them is just going to make them to stay away from heat. I personally think anywhere from 24-28c is good temp for tortoise. My room temp is "room temp" lol, so it's about 24-25 at all time, even with my house AC on.

I'm using tropical cypress bedding and tortoise loves it. I feed grass from my backyard, green leafs and carrot from my fridge, lol and I spray calcium on food as well.

My tortoise is very happy, wakes up early morning to find food on dish. (if I place food before I go to sleep knowing i wont have in the morning to prepare) or sometimes I just feed when I wake up around 7. Then he plays and walks around for an hour and take long naps during days. Honestly, if you forget to feed for like half a day is really okay, they came from where they might don't get food all the time, they are not going to die but don't starve them for so long. I also soak them every other day so I make sure they are well hydrated and clean.

Things I use:
Tank
Topical cypress bedding by all living things
Hanna hut by zoo med
Backyard buffalo grass
Carrot
Green vegetable
Calcium supplement by zilla

I used to put water dish inside tank but he never drinks and just walks over the water. I decided to put it away cuz i dont want to make the substrate humid. But make sure you soak baby tortoise with water tho. If course, if you are going away for like few days, make sure you have water for tortoise.

That's my first experience with my baby tortoise. Thanks for reading:)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Everything sounds good, I will only point out that windows filter out UV rays so your tortoise is not recieving the UV requirements it needs..

Would love to see photo's of your tortoise..

moonlight1437

5 Year Member
I realize my tortoise poop around 3 hours after eating, and I soak him and give him a sunbath after.

dalano73 said:
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Everything sounds good, I will only point out that windows filter out UV rays so your tortoise is not recieving the UV requirements it needs..

Would love to see photo's of your tortoise..

Thanks, I try to take him outside more so he can get direct sunlight:)

Will post pics soon

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hello also what kind of light are you using? how close do you have it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi moonlight1437:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Thank you for sharing how you care for your sulcata. May we see pictures of him?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. An indoor glass tank near a window could lead to disaster. What are your four temps in there? Warm side, cool side, basking spot and night?

Is your glow lamp light one of those coil type flourescent bulbs. Those can hurt their eyes and most of us strongly recommend against using them.

Hot and dry is fine for ADULT sulcatas, but babies need moisture and humidity. Here's how I like to care for them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1ToKVrclw

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Seriously, follow Tom's advice. He knows his stuff. It's a lot to read yes, but I strongly believe that if you are going to care and provide for an animal, you need to avail yourself to every bit of knowledge and experience out there. I'll get off my soap box now ^.^ Good luck and welcome.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Welcome to TFO! I try to follow Toms care sheet as much as possible, he has some gorgeous Sulcatas! My little guy is about a month older than yours :)

Status
Not open for further replies.