3 week old hatchling sulcata.

Brewski4u1

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Hello Again
I had some time before before work and got started on Mr. T's Out door pen. this is going to be used on the weekends so i can leave him outside all day and not have to worry about him. there will be more progress coming up. This has cost me Nothing at this point just using some scrap and a pallet i had laying around.

Question. what should i put down on the bottom?? I assume plywood is not the best. and remember this is only being used on the weekend for a few hours. so he can get some sun.

Start with a normal pallet.

take out the middle crossmember and bottom Pieces and then make you 2 other side with the part you removed.

Cut plywood and make a flow and screw it down.

this is for height reference

this will be pretty cool once finished i think and should work for a little while.

thoughts? concerns? ideas let me know.

thank you

Brewski4u1

South Florida
I have another question that i need answered.

What is a good potted plant i can get from home depo for shade in the inclosure that is not hybiscus and is safe ?

And also help on the above as well. Input would be awesome. Thank u.

Brewski4u1

South Florida
Hello
these are some pictures from this weekend. would still like the above questions answered. he spent about 5 hours on Sat. and Sunday.

you can see his size in this pic.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have another question that i need answered.

What is a good potted plant i can get from home depo for shade in the inclosure that is not hybiscus and is safe ?

And also help on the above as well. Input would be awesome. Thank u.

The sides are too low on that enclosure, but you get points for creativity and recycling! You need at least 2-3" of substrate and then he'll be able to reach the top and pull himself over. I'd go at least 10" or 12" high on the sides. Maybe tack on some plywood with 2x2s for corner support?

No plants from the hardware stores are safe for your tortoise to eat or have access too. They are grown with systemic pesticides that can last a year after purchase. They are fine for use if the tortoise can't reach them or if you want to re-plant them with fresh soil and wait a year to feed out the new growth that occurs after that year.

I would not leave a hatchling out for more than an hour or two. That is all they need and more is not good for them in my experience. I start hatchlings with an hour or two and by the time they are 5-6" I leave them out most of the day weather permitting. At 8-10" I move them outside full time with a heated shelter of some sort.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
That's a neat idea. The plants, did I get them organic? I read earlier that u was planning on getting some Home Depot, there might b chemicals in the plant and the soil if so, I would be careful w that. Are you going to add some substrate to the bottom? As for shade, you could pick any plant that's wide and bushy, I put mine in tall slender planter pots so my torts can't get to them, that way I don't have to worry about safe or not. I pick stuff that provides shade, doesn't shed leafs to much and easy to grow. I have what they call a rubber tree in one of my enclosures right now. Provides excellent shade and the leaves don't fall off hardly at all, plus it's like no maintenance. I soak it with water once every 2-3 wks and its doing great. My bigger torts like to hide out in my elephant ears and banana trees, you have to keep closer eye on those tho, they tend to droop and their toxic to my sulcatas.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Exciting isn't it!! Callie was 131g today. Makes ya feel like your getting something right. I been feeling pretty crappy last couple weeks, crappy enough I have thought about adopting out my torts cause my leopards keep dying but today was measurement day. All the quads have gained and all three the Sudans had gained, so I know your excitement. How long is he now?

Brewski4u1

South Florida
not sure on length never measured him but i know i'm going to have to upgrade his humid hide soon as he is going to be to big shortly to fit in.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
That's funny. I use a plastic shoe box for a humid hide and the other day a weird noise caught my attention so when I checked out the noise it was Callie, her shell was scraping as she went into the hide. I had to get my dremel tool and make the entrance hole a little wider and a bit taller. I don't know, I guess their all different but it's like mine grow in spurts instead of steadily over time. The day before I noticed her scraping I had watched her go in and she went just fine but the every next day she was to big, it's like she grew while she slept. Lol.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's an awfully pretty sulcata.

Randi

Canada
This thread is older but something I noticed.. the substrate shown in the picture on the second post (made by original poster) is called Eco Earth. It isn't sand, it's a brick of compressed soil. You simply add water into a bucket with that brick inside it. It makes for a fair amount. It would of been a decent substrate. I mix some in with my cypress mulch. Just thought I'd clarify what the substrate is in case someone stumbles on this thread.

Last edited:

Brewski4u1

South Florida
long over due update but started on his new home this weekend, just have to get the Plexiglas and the electrical to get it wired up for the light and timers.

Brewski4u1

South Florida
hello everyone just a quick question . Mr T is doing fine and growing but every once in a while he will just stay in his hide all day is this normal? he usually does this after we have had him outside the whole day before. i'll try and get a recent pic as well.