New tiny leopard

Meganolvt

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hi guys- I just got a tiny leopard tortoise, SCL is 3 inches. Previous owner says she was told he hatched in September. That would make him 10 months. Is that possible? He was on wood shavings and as soon as I got him home i put him in some water. He drank for like 10 minutes. I think i can assume that he has been raised dry since hatch. I've never had a hatching, so i don't know if it is possible for a 10 month old to be 3 inches. Is that about right?
Also, his bottom jaw is black. Structurally looks fine, but very dark in color. Can this be normal?

I20170705_171140.jpg have read all of your care sheets and I am confident in how to care for him.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Most tortoises that I have met with dark stains on their mouths are poop eaters. Could that be the case with him?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
3inches could be possible. The dark mouth is either the poop or possibly other things he has eaten, substrate, etc. as long as it looks fine otherwise I wouldn't worry.
Seeing he was so thirsty, I would give him soaks every day until he's at least two. Thrn you could cut back.