New to adopting a tortoise

Ali_Electric

Location (City and/or State)
Lattakia
Hello!
My girlfriend adopted two tortoises recently (one from 3-4 months ago, and a second one today which is about 2 days old still really young and small).
Now, both of them are eating and doing everything a normal tortoise does normally just fine, but we had the following questions:

1. Can she keep them both in the same container at the same time? or is it dangerous for one of them because of different breeds or something? (An image of both of them together is attached)

2. We currently live in a country where we don't really have access to stuff like heat lamps (even if we had access we have no way of powering them for more than 3 hours everyday lol) so how do we make it safe for them? We live in a place with high humidity and somewhat warm temeprature, but we're getting closer and closer to Fall so what should we prepare for their Hibernation? Because I heard that they will go into that state soon.

And hopefully the thread was clear enough, if not I'll give more info in the replies.

Oh and btw this is a temporary solution for keeping them, she plans on getting them a better container soon.

Attachments

• IMG-20230907-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20230907-WA0013.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20230907-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20230907-WA0011.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 5

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Tortoises should never be kept in pairs, and species should never be mixed.

Start here and look for the temperate species care sheet at the bottom:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
it's going to be difficult for you to provide what the tortoises need to survive and thrive. They really do need electricity for more than three hours a day. I'm sorry to say that getting those tortoises was a mistake. I don't see how you can keep them warm enough for their food to digest with no heat.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Hello!
My girlfriend adopted two tortoises recently (one from 3-4 months ago, and a second one today which is about 2 days old still really young and small).
Now, both of them are eating and doing everything a normal tortoise does normally just fine, but we had the following questions:

1. Can she keep them both in the same container at the same time? or is it dangerous for one of them because of different breeds or something? (An image of both of them together is attached)

2. We currently live in a country where we don't really have access to stuff like heat lamps (even if we had access we have no way of powering them for more than 3 hours everyday lol) so how do we make it safe for them? We live in a place with high humidity and somewhat warm temperature, but we're getting closer and closer to Fall so what should we prepare for their Hibernation? Because I heard that they will go into that state soon.

And hopefully the thread was clear enough, if not I'll give more info in the replies.

Oh and btw this is a temporary solution for keeping them, she plans on getting them a better container soon.

Hi welcome to the forum! I don't think we have a lot of people here form Syria! Tortoises aside, I hope you are in a place that is safe and healthy for you, as well as your torts.

I totally understand your goal of keeping them like this until you get a better solution, but you say you're in an area with no more than 3 hours of power.

It doesn't sounds like you have an outdoor enclosure, tho maybe we are wrong in that assumption? Do you have a way to create a large, safe, outdoor space where they can't wander away but are protected from predators and has both sun and shade ability?

If not - here's the bottom line - they will die. Not trying to be a jerk, but its like saying you are trying to keep a fish but don't have water. Tortoises are only "easy" pets to keep *if* you are able to keep them on conditions that work for them. Right now it sounds like you don't have the ability to give them the space, heat, or light they need. We haven't even discussed diet.

Babies need to be in an enclosed chamber with carefully controlled light, heat, and humidity. If you don't have that, they will die slow painful deaths (again sorry, but its just biology). As they get older, they will need SEPARATE enclosures, both about 1.2 meters x 2.4 meters. Also getting them ready for brumation is complicated and again requires the right setup, or... they will die.

So basically unless you *can* provide what they need, there is no way to "make it safe for them" you're just waiting for the inevitable. I'm sorry to not be able to provide better news for you.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Are you located in Syria?
Are you able to create an outdoors area to house them? (Two)
That might be the best and easiest option for you and these little tortoises.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi welcome to the forum! I don't think we have a lot of people here form Syria! Tortoises aside, I hope you are in a place that is safe and healthy for you, as well as your torts.

I totally understand your goal of keeping them like this until you get a better solution, but you say you're in an area with no more than 3 hours of power.

It doesn't sounds like you have an outdoor enclosure, tho maybe we are wrong in that assumption? Do you have a way to create a large, safe, outdoor space where they can't wander away but are protected from predators and has both sun and shade ability?

If not - here's the bottom line - they will die. Not trying to be a jerk, but its like saying you are trying to keep a fish but don't have water. Tortoises are only "easy" pets to keep *if* you are able to keep them on conditions that work for them. Right now it sounds like you don't have the ability to give them the space, heat, or light they need. We haven't even discussed diet.

Babies need to be in an enclosed chamber with carefully controlled light, heat, and humidity. If you don't have that, they will die slow painful deaths (again sorry, but its just biology). As they get older, they will need SEPARATE enclosures, both about 1.2 meters x 2.4 meters. Also getting them ready for brumation is complicated and again requires the right setup, or... they will die.

So basically unless you *can* provide what they need, there is no way to "make it safe for them" you're just waiting for the inevitable. I'm sorry to not be able to provide better news for you.
Perfectly written.
I agree that an outside enclosure seems like the best bet here