New to eggs and incubation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amberlove.jean

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
I have this beautiful eastern box turtle named Ma'am.

598999_10151206203369418_804525903_n.jpg

Roughly 2 days ago I found a random egg in her pen. There was only one and was partially covered by the moss I placed in there that she is always hiding under. She has mated a couple of times with a friends turtle. But I found it odd there was only one. But just incase I got a plastic rubbermate container and filled it with all natural topsoil. I have a light glowing above it (I can't afford a real incubator being the broke college student that I am, but I'm doing my best). I don't have a lid on it but I do spray it when the soil gets dryer then damp. I don't have the light directly on it so it doesn't get too hot. I know this is a very makeshift thing I have going on here, but I have to know if there is anything I can do better? And do I leave the light on 100% of the time, or give a day and night appearance like I do for Ma'am with the uvb bulb at night? I didn't expect her to lay, even though it might not be fertile.

Please help, I don't want to mess up big time :/

Thank you very much!

--AmberJean

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Amberjean:

Maybe a heat source that ISN'T a light would work better. You can use a black or red light, or a ceramic heat emitter.

Amberlove.jean

5 Year Member
USA
emysemys said:
Hi Amberjean:

Maybe a heat source that ISN'T a light would work better. You can use a black or red light, or a ceramic heat emitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.