New to Forum & Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcscheid

5 Year Member
Hello everyone!

We don't currently have a tortoise but my 10 year old daughter really wants to get a Russian Tortoise. She currently has an African Dwarf Frog and a 10 gallon tank with a Betta and some Ghost Shrimp. She has been very good about doing weekly water changes, cleaning, feeding, etc without us having to remind her.

We live just north of Houston, TX in a single-family home with a yard. I have been trying to do some research on tortoise care but haven't found all the answers I was looking for. For example, our climate is fairly moderate so the tortoise could probably be outside 9 months of the year. However, we also have a lot of insects like wasps etc. so I worry about potential parasites.

Would a tortoise be too much for my daughter to care for? How often would the tortoise need to go to a vet?, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Daron

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Daron:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I think it would be a fine pet for you and your daughter to set up in the back yard. A nice, large outdoor pen, covered with lots of clovers and broad-leaf weeds, a couple hiding places, a waterer and a feeding tile and you're all set. Your daughter sounds very responsible and I'm sure she can handle whatever the tortoise requires.

If you give the tortoise what it needs, chances are pretty good you won't need to take it to the vet, but its always a good idea to get to know a good reptile vet before you need one.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hello Daron and welcome to the forum...

A tortoise like a Russian is going to be fairly easy to take care of as long as your there to support your daughter.

You will get different answers about the vet. I think it depends on who or where you get the tortoise from. If it's from a place like petsmart or petco, then you will want to take it to the vet for a health check and to check for parasites.

All of my tortoises are very healthy so I have never had to take any of my tortoises to the vet, but its still a good idea to know which vets in your area can actually treat tortoises and not just reptiles in general.

dcscheid

5 Year Member
Thanks for the welcome and advice! Based on your replies, I think we will go ahead and let her get a tortoise (after we have gotten the outside cage/habitat completely ready).

I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions as we get ready;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.