New to Red Foots...is this a Yellow Foot, what age appx?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonameredfoot

5 Year Member
Hello!
Hope everyone has been having a decent day or evening...I am brand new to torts, Ive done a bit of research and have been learning tons from the forums (which I love, everyone is so helpful and friendly :D)...I bought this little guy from the pet store yesterday afternoon, they called and labeled him a red foot but based on pics of seen on the forums seems to me he would be a yellow foot? Whats your thought? Im also curious as to his appx age? I had posted pics of him in my Intro to the forums but the pics seemed decieving, he seemed bigger than he actually is so im worried estimated age was a little high based on those pics and want to get a more accurate age on him (totally mine and the pics fault lol) so I took some pics of him beside my hand to help give a better idea of his size. What do you think his age is? He was in tank with 2 other torts the same size and color, he was the only one out eating the other two were in their bathtub and never came out so he was the one I picked lol) Someone on the forms also mentioned he may be started to pyramid, what might this have been caused by and how can I slow it or stop it? (keep in mind I dont quite know all the terms and scientific names et)
Thank you! :)

videosofturtle455.jpg

videosofturtle456.jpg

videosofturtle457.jpg

videosofturtle458.jpg

videosofturtle465.jpg

videosofturtle466.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No, its a redfoot. Probably in the 2 to 4 year old range.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Agree with Yvonne, definitely a red-foot. I would put the age closer to 2 years though.

-Matt

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Unless you play for the NBA [ huge hands ].. 4" - 5" straight carapace length would usually mean about 2 years old for your redfoot.

A yellowfoot looks like this.. ( no "nose" ) -

YELLOWfoot.jpg

Hope this helps..

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
Redfoot for sure .
2 yrs sounds about right .
Little pyramidimg but nothing to be concerned about .
With proper diet & care you will probably see the scutes flatten out as it get's older.
Mike D.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Probably 2-3 yr range. It is tough to give an exact age without knowing the hatch date. Pyramiding is also a factor that makes age estimation a little more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.