New to the forum šŸ¢

incognet

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
If this is for an Aldabra, it's already likely 4 inches long by the time you get it, unless it's a true hatchling. Most closed chamber enclosures build will be to small unless you are having one specially built to have proper size/space. It will need lots of space to properly walk and keep muscle and to build muscle. They grow fast when properly cared for, so consider how long the enclosure will actually last before soaking a ton of money into it.
A greenhouse might be more worth the money as it's not expensive and can be used a lot longer. Even as a warm/hot spot in the outdoor enclosure until he's to big for it and would just crush it.
Yes, my little gem is already 5.5" (and growing rapidly at her Florida nursery). We've allocated ~75 sqf space for the initial outdoor pen. This area is pesticide-free, adjacent to house and accessible through window. Light conditions are reptile-friendly... persistent basking and shady zones with dappled conditions at certain times of day. We have local rock (sandstone, quartzite, granite), brick and other materials for geoscaping.

As for the greenhouse, what are your impressions of the larger (6*4 or 6*6) walk-in units with polycarbonate panels? We have room for this indoors, but I'm not sure how well this design will trap humidity. The intent would be leaving her outside whenever possible, but use indoor greenhouse during inclement weather.

image000002(2).jpgimage000000(8).jpg

Attachments

• image000001(2).jpg
    image000001(2).jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 1

COmtnLady

Today is my birthday!
Colorado
Welcome to the most up-to-date tortoise info on the net.
(Apologies for the slow response.)

I found two things problematic in your posts. The misters/foggers are not good, but that's already been covered. You'll have respiratory and fungal problems.

The other was in one of the first couple posts. You said you have moss in an enclosure. It can cause impaction if eaten (and they eat everything you think they won't).

I have a different species, so can't comment to Aldabra raising. From what I hear you may need an engine lift or Hoyer in the near future. šŸ¤£

Good Luck !!!
Post lots of pics when you get the new little guy(s).

incognet

Arkansas
Welcome to the most up-to-date tortoise info on the net.
(Apologies for the slow response.)

I found two things problematic in your posts. The misters/foggers are not good, but that's already been covered. You'll have respiratory and fungal problems.

The other was in one of the first couple posts. You said you have moss in an enclosure. It can cause impaction if eaten (and they eat everything you think they won't).

I have a different species, so can't comment to Aldabra raising. From what I hear you may need an engine lift or Hoyer in the near future. šŸ¤£

Good Luck !!!
Post lots of pics when you get the new little guy(s).
Thanks, I'll definitely avoid using reptile fogger with our tortoise. The conditions in my boxie's open-topped stock tank are very different... the humidity rarely drops below 60%, so fogger hasn't triggered in several weeks. It's set to the lowest output and is positioned over her soaking/wading tray. She seems to enjoy the overall effect.

We had initial concerns about sphagnum moss (imported material), but boxie has shown absolutely no interest in chewing on in. She also ignores the no-spray geranium vegetation and many food items you'd expect her to enjoy. I always monitor live feedings (hornworm or earthworm) to ensure that she doesn't accidentally ingest moss/substrate.

incognet

Arkansas
Btw, I've discontinued use of reptile fogger in Boxie tank (as of last substrate change). Other family members are disappointed, but finally understand. We're looking into room or house-scale humidification. i should probably begin a new thread for ongoing Aldabra discussion. This was supposed to be my introduction, lol.