New to the forum 🐢

incognet

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Hi everyone! I'm a longtime tort enthusiast and forum lurker. I presently keep a hybrid box turtle (abandoned pet) who was struck by a car near my house. Her shell was badly cracked, and prognosis was bleak, but she's recovered nicely over past year. She currently resides in a 300-gallon stock tank with appropriate lighting, humidity, etc. Our little boxie has no visible pyramiding or signs of distress... she's very active and friendly.

((NOTE: she's got more plants and sphagnum moss nowadays)).

We live on acreage in rural Arkansas; previous generations raised hoof stock, but I plan to keep Aldabra tortoises. This has been under discussion for 10+ years in our family, and circumstances finally allowed me to purchase young Aldabra from a reputable breeder.

We've paid in full, and breeder will delay shipment while I finalize habitat design. I'd prefer to keep her indoors for another year or so... 5.5" remains vulnerable to many predators... but we have patio & garden space that can be repurposed.

The ambient temp and humidity in our solarium (where my boxie lives) is Aldabra-appropriate. The open-top design is surprisingly efficient; we had no issues during especially cold winter of 2023. There's enough space for another 6*4 (possibly larger?) enclosure, with no direct contact between animals. I'm vacillating between tortoise table and tub... just not sure what's the best option in short-medium term. This seems like a good place to ask. 😀

Attachments

• PXL_20230628_163419770.jpg
    PXL_20230628_163419770.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20230626_232529123.jpg
    PXL_20230626_232529123.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • image000003(1).jpg
    image000003(1).jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 6
  • image000002(1).jpg
    image000002(1).jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 5
  • image000001(1).jpg
    image000001(1).jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 5
  • image000000(7).jpg
    image000000(7).jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 6

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

I vote for the tub because with the high sides it would be easy to have a cover over it with the lights and heat inside. I raised two Aldabrans from hatchling size before I knew how important the humidity issue is for baby tortoises, so they were a bit pyramided.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Yvonne. They need high humidity just like all baby tortoises to raise up smooth. No mercury bulbs, no coil bulbs and no halogen bulbs, the coil just isn't good and can harm eyes. The mercury and halogen are too harsh and will cause pyramiding even in the best conditions.
Tube fluorescent for uvb, incandescent flood bulb for basking and ceramic heat emitter or radiant heat panels for night heat and any added day heat needed
If you can get him outside about 3-4 days a week for natural sunlight a uvb inside is not needed.
80% humidity.
No ramped water bowls like the one for the boxie, they are a flipping and drowning hazard.
Done right they will grow fast, so be prepared for the near future.

incognet

Arkansas
Hi and welcome!

I vote for the tub because with the high sides it would be easy to have a cover over it with the lights and heat inside. I raised two Aldabrans from hatchling size before I knew how important the humidity issue is for baby tortoises, so they were a bit pyramided.
Pyramiding from improper humidity is one of my biggest fears. Surprisingly, we didn't need to cover top of Boxie's stock tank... the ambient humidity is 60% for most of year. Daily misting of habitat coupled with reptile fogger (humidistat ~70%) seems to work. Her shell growth since rescue/rehab is very smooth.

That being said, our stock tank design would be difficult to fully cover... the basking lamp and T5 fluorescent lights are suspended in such a way that a single pane of glass/acrylic isn't practical. The outlet hose of reptile fogger could be redirected into hide or cave.

Any suggestions (or turn-key solutions) would be greatly appreciated! I'm wholly committed to this project and have cleared my schedule for next 2 weeks.

incognet

Arkansas
I agree with Yvonne. They need high humidity just like all baby tortoises to raise up smooth. No mercury bulbs, no coil bulbs and no halogen bulbs, the coil just isn't good and can harm eyes. The mercury and halogen are too harsh and will cause pyramiding even in the best conditions.
Tube fluorescent for uvb, incandescent flood bulb for basking and ceramic heat emitter or radiant heat panels for night heat and any added day heat needed
If you can get him outside about 3-4 days a week for natural sunlight a uvb inside is not needed.
80% humidity.
No ramped water bowls like the one for the boxie, they are a flipping and drowning hazard.
Done right they will grow fast, so be prepared for the near future.
Thanks for your advice. The husbandry requirements aren't so different from our box turtle. We use Arcadia 100w Solar basking light, Arcadia D3 6% UVB and 6400k full spectrum fluorescent bulbs (in dual T5 fixture).

The ramped water bowl in picture was eventually replaced with paint (roller) tray which allows boxie to mostly immerse herself. I didn't realize these could be a drowning hazard for tortoises. 😥

We have several areas in garden or patio where juvenile tort could safely bask (assuming a wire enclosure is used). I'd still like to provide UVB indoors (and protect my aldabra from inclement weather) during Y1-2. We expect her permanent outdoor habitat will be finished next spring.

I could replicate Boxie's stock tank, with Aldabra-specific modifications, or use a different indoor habitat. We've also considered the Reptizoo glass terrarium.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
With some rigging, a pop up portable greenhouse is much cheaper and comes usually 3 feet wide by, 6,9 or 12 feet long. Might need to add a boards along the perimeter and a tarp for floor. Then all lights and heat could be hung inside and it will keep humidity as well.
See pics for ideas.
1000001354.jpg1000001352.png1000001351.png

incognet

Arkansas
With some rigging, a pop up portable greenhouse is much cheaper and comes usually 3 feet wide by, 6,9 or 12 feet long. Might need to add a boards along the perimeter and a tarp for floor. Then all lights and heat could be hung inside and it will keep humidity as well.
See pics for ideas.
View attachment 371656View attachment 371657View attachment 371658
Oh yeah, I've used popup greenhouses for indoor mushroom cultivation. We considered this option for Aldabra, but the stakes are higher than with shitake. Do you have a preferred humidifier/fogger? I use the Reptizoo 4l Hygrostat model for my boxie's tank. Her solar basking lamp is connected to a Herpstat EZ1.

I've reached out to several custom enclosure fabricators (Apex Reptile, Maximum Reptile, Cryptic Creations, etc) about my design requirements. Unfortunately, most have 6+ week lead time for custom enclosures.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Oh yeah, I've used popup greenhouses for indoor mushroom cultivation. We considered this option for Aldabra, but the stakes are higher than with shitake. Do you have a preferred humidifier/fogger? I use the Reptizoo 4l Hygrostat model for my boxie's tank. Her solar basking lamp is connected to a Herpstat EZ1.

I've reached out to several custom enclosure fabricators (Apex Reptile, Maximum Reptile, Cryptic Creations, etc) about my design requirements. Unfortunately, most have 6+ week lead time for custom enclosures.
Try these guys.

incognet

Arkansas
Humidifier and foggers shouldn't be used in a tortoise enclosure. You can use them in the room it's in but not the enclosure.
That may be an issue. I thought we could use fogger with enclosed terrarium for optimal 80% humidity when tort cannot be outside. The solarium where boxie resides (in stock tank) has ambient humidity of 60%+ for most of year, but 80% isn't feasible without a drastic remodel.

If using fogger in tortoise enclosure isn't accepted practice (poor airflow?), I need to review my design requirements. We might have to use the greenhouse you suggest, unless there is some other guide/template which I've overlooked (?)

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
That may be an issue. I thought we could use fogger with enclosed terrarium for optimal 80% humidity when tort cannot be outside. The solarium where boxie resides (in stock tank) has ambient humidity of 60%+ for most of year, but 80% isn't feasible without a drastic remodel.

If using fogger in tortoise enclosure isn't accepted practice (poor airflow?), I need to review my design requirements. We might have to use the greenhouse you suggest, unless there is some other guide/template which I've overlooked (?)
A fogger most assuredly is not acceptable. More health issues will come of using it

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

In a closed chamber enclosure there is no need for a fogger or humidifier. You dampen the substrate. In my opinion, the best way to do this is coconut coir on the bottom with fine grade orchid or fir bark on top. You dampen the coir by pouring warm water into the corners. This helps to keep top layer dry preventing shell rot for those prone to it and will keep the humidity where it should be. Do not have open areas or vents in the enclosure. There is enough air exchange from you opening when feeding, watering, cleaning etc, plus it's not likely made air tight.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If this is for an Aldabra, it's already likely 4 inches long by the time you get it, unless it's a true hatchling. Most closed chamber enclosures build will be to small unless you are having one specially built to have proper size/space. It will need lots of space to properly walk and keep muscle and to build muscle. They grow fast when properly cared for, so consider how long the enclosure will actually last before soaking a ton of money into it.
A greenhouse might be more worth the money as it's not expensive and can be used a lot longer. Even as a warm/hot spot in the outdoor enclosure until he's to big for it and would just crush it.

incognet

Arkansas
In a closed chamber enclosure there is no need for a fogger or humidifier. You dampen the substrate. In my opinion, the best way to do this is coconut coir on the bottom with fine grade orchid or fir bark on top. You dampen the coir by pouring warm water into the corners. This helps to keep top layer dry preventing shell rot for those prone to it and will keep the humidity where it should be. Do not have open areas or vents in the enclosure. There is enough air exchange from you opening when feeding, watering, cleaning etc, plus it's not likely made air tight.
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. We use coconut coir (Zoo Med Eco Earth) as the majority substrate in my box turtle habitat. It's affordable and holds moisture well (even without closed chamber).

sensei

PAK
Hi everyone! I'm a longtime tort enthusiast and forum lurker. I presently keep a hybrid box turtle (abandoned pet) who was struck by a car near my house. Her shell was badly cracked, and prognosis was bleak, but she's recovered nicely over past year. She currently resides in a 300-gallon stock tank with appropriate lighting, humidity, etc. Our little boxie has no visible pyramiding or signs of distress... she's very active and friendly.

((NOTE: she's got more plants and sphagnum moss nowadays)).

We live on acreage in rural Arkansas; previous generations raised hoof stock, but I plan to keep Aldabra tortoises. This has been under discussion for 10+ years in our family, and circumstances finally allowed me to purchase young Aldabra from a reputable breeder.

We've paid in full, and breeder will delay shipment while I finalize habitat design. I'd prefer to keep her indoors for another year or so... 5.5" remains vulnerable to many predators... but we have patio & garden space that can be repurposed.

The ambient temp and humidity in our solarium (where my boxie lives) is Aldabra-appropriate. The open-top design is surprisingly efficient; we had no issues during especially cold winter of 2023. There's enough space for another 6*4 (possibly larger?) enclosure, with no direct contact between animals. I'm vacillating between tortoise table and tub... just not sure what's the best option in short-medium term. This seems like a good place to ask. 😀
hey, i also joined recently. i am happy to find an active forum. my last one was kind of dead