New to the tortoise forum and wondering what I can do to make my tortoise happier

RetroFangirl

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin, USA
Hi so i'm new to the tortoise forum but not new to owning a tortoise. I've had my Russian tortoise, Dragon, for around five years. I feel as though I take care of him well. I feed him once a day and I take him outside to let him walk around in a little play pen that my dad made for him. In his cage, he has a hollow log that he like to sleep under. and a ceramic figure of a turtle that he likes to dig under. but he is always running up against the side of the cage repeatedly and making a banging noise when his shell hits the glass. When I let him out of his cage he just runs into the walls. I have seen online that people give there tortoises balls to play with. and I thought that maybe he does this because he is bored. so I gave him a red ball but he has no interest in it. does anyone know why he does this and if there is anything I could give him that he would like to play with?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hey RetroFanGirl, I'm thinking that your enclosure is probably a tad small. Upload some photos of your habitat....and we can help you. Welcome..

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hi so i'm new to the tortoise forum but not new to owning a tortoise. I've had my Russian tortoise, Dragon, for around five years. I feel as though I take care of him well. I feed him once a day and I take him outside to let him walk around in a little play pen that my dad made for him. In his cage, he has a hollow log that he like to sleep under. and a ceramic figure of a turtle that he likes to dig under. but he is always running up against the side of the cage repeatedly and making a banging noise when his shell hits the glass. When I let him out of his cage he just runs into the walls. I have seen online that people give there tortoises balls to play with. and I thought that maybe he does this because he is bored. so I gave him a red ball but he has no interest in it. does anyone know why he does this and if there is anything I could give him that he would like to play with?

Are you letting him roam around the house? Because that's a big no-no. There are so many things that could go wrong- he could get stepped on, eat something he's not suppose to, and it's too cold to have them doing that.

The reason you see torts chasing balls is because they think it's another tortoise. They try to chase it away, and it stresses them out immensely and should not be done. This is a good thread about it-Can someone explain this? (tortoise chases ball)

https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...explain-this?--(tortoise-chases-ball).161717/

Please post pics of your enclosure and tortoise :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Tortoises don’t play. They don’t get lonely or need friends either. They’re solitary, they roam, they eat, they see off potential rivals, they bask and they snooze.

Russians in particular roam very large distances and the behaviour you describe suggests the enclosure is too small.

Photos of your enclosure and lighting and of course your tort will help us to identify problems.

In the meantime, I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

RetroFangirl

Wisconsin, USA
Are you letting him roam around the house? Because that's a big no-no. There are so many things that could go wrong- he could get stepped on, eat something he's not suppose to, and it's too cold to have them doing that.

The reason you see torts chasing balls is because they think it's another tortoise. They try to chase it away, and it stresses them out immensely and should not be done. This is a good thread about it-Can someone explain this? (tortoise chases ball)

https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Can-someone-explain-this?--(tortoise-chases-ball).161717/

Please post pics of your enclosure and tortoise :)
I do not let him roam free around the house no. i let him in my bedroom and i shut the door so he cant go anywhere else

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I do not let him roam free around the house no. i let him in my bedroom and i shut the door so he cant go anywhere else

That's more or less what I meant. It's still very dangerous, and especially with carpet(I'm not sure if you have it or not), it only takes a second for something bad to happen. I'm sure @Tom could tell you how many times something bad has happened when people let their tortoises roam ;)

RetroFangirl

Wisconsin, USA
That's more or less what I meant. It's still very dangerous, and especially with carpet(I'm not sure if you have it or not), it only takes a second for something bad to happen. I'm sure @Tom could tell you how many times something bad has happened when people let their tortoises roam ;)
no i don't have carpet. i didn't know there was something wrong with it. in fact the lady at the pet store told me that i should let him out of his cage at least once a week.

Bambam1989

East Texas
no i don't have carpet. i didn't know there was something wrong with it. in fact the lady at the pet store told me that i should let him out of his cage at least once a week.
I would imagine a slick hard floor surface would be stressful on joints. Hair and lint can accumulate daily which could be ingested or entangled on limbs. Cleaning products could also pose a hazard. He could be stepped on, pinched by a door, decide to eat that tiny button under your bed. Basically we just want you to understand the risks of him/her being on the floor. It's your choice on whether or not to take that risk.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Ah, it seems like you were a victim of pet store advice. Pet stores rarely ever know what they're talking about, and usually kill more reptiles than they sell. I wouldn't listen to that lady anymore if I were you