New to the tortoise world

jakjak

image.jpg Im new to the tortoise world but would like to know the breed of my tortoise she is 8 yrs old and was given to me today any help and advice would be great

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
What you have is a leopard tortoise, but it is not the healthiest looking one. She has a bad case of pyramiding and I would guess MBD (metabolic bone disease), which has created a very out of shape carapace shell. :( The back nails look very long, which coupled with the shell makes me ask you, if this tortoise can get up on it's feet and walk properly? Looks bright, alert and otherwise healthy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

If the tortoise has always been kept on that substrate in the picture, then that's one reason for the pyramiding. She needs to be kept in a more humid environment, and on a substrate that you can moisten.

The best thing you can do for your new tortoise is read the "Important Threads" at the top of the leopard section, and make changes in her care accordingly.

jakjak

I have joined this group through an app on iphone i dont know where to find the forum you mean. Thanks gor your replies i was told it was a horsfield but i wasnt sure and was also wondering about her shell i new something wasnt right :(

Yes she gets up high and walks perfectly fine she been circling the coffee table and explorin my living room lol

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . What did the other keeper feed that leopard tort ? Do you have a pict of the underside of the tort ? Have a great day

jakjak

ImageUploadedByTortForum1394668954.366180.jpg i was passed 2 tubs of reptilix tortoise. Its a basic feed for all tortoises

Last edited by a moderator:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I would start feeding her a lot more greens maybe 1/2 wild greens . And cut that pellet food down to maybe 2or three times a week .