New to this, advise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fyreflye

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Two months ago i adopted a young redfoot- his previous owner only had him for a couple of months, but decided that she didn't have the time and money to care for him properly. I think she meant well, but when i first saw him it was obvious that he needed some help; he was kept on terrarium carpet (NO substrate) and had nothing to supply heat or humidity.

I was informed beforehand that he had an eye infection, but his labored breathing lead me to suspect a respiratory problem. A visit to the vet confirmed pneumonia. Now, 8 weeks later, he's still in recovery.

While i did keep some native turtle species as a child, i have to admit that i am new to tortoises. I have been doing a lot of research online in regards to feeding, habitat and care, but i think that a forum is an excellent place to get advise and tips from peers with experience.

Right now Flash (he came without a name, it took us about 30 minutes to pick one for him) is doing well, but with the recent changes in weather i'm finding it harder to keep the humidity up in his enclosure- a 29 gal aquarium. I am wondering if it is possible to set up a humidifier to vent directly into his tank..?

A picture of Flash: his 'bad' eye is facing the camera, and he has no red coloring on him at all, but from what i've read his head scale patterns still mark him as a redfoot.

IMG_3223.jpg

ReptileManiac

5 Year Member
I think you should get him out of an aquarium, it tends to drive tortoises crazy.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I keep mine in a 75 gal planted vivarium. When you water the plants they give off lots of humidity without keeping the substrate wet. Heat emitter on one side for heat alone...long tube 5.0 UVB on the other side gives light but no heat, giving him an option to go on the warm side or the cooler side. Cover the sides, back and 6 in. in the front so he can't see out and get stressed. This has worked for me for two years now, but he goes out for the summer and this is just his winter "inside" home.
005-7.jpg

Fyreflye

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
ReptileManiac said:
I think you should get him out of an aquarium, it tends to drive tortoises crazy.

I have read that oftentimes an aquarium setup does not work, due to lack of ventilation (causing substrate to mold) or injury from trying to escape through the glass.

Flash, however, is still young and sick. He eats well, but spends the majority of him time resting in one of his hides. I have covered the bottom several inches around the base of his tank with a decorated aquarium backing, and he has never shown any interest in trying to get through it. I also change his substrate out every other week to keep it free of any mold or pests.

Thank you for the links to check out!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I know a lot of keepers who keep their boxies or tortoises in glass vivariums. The air flow is fine if the top is kept open. Of course outside is best, but for the winter if they have to come in and also if they are humidity loving torts then IMHO the glass viv is fine. Like I said...this is what worked for me.

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB
Oh man! My sympathies. My little Woodrow was an ill kept pet store orphan. Had him for 9 months and his eye still does not want to open. Most people here will recommend Terramycin. I have read wonders about this particular eye ointment, and it may have not worked for me, but it is cheap and poses no harm to the tortoise to just try. It very well might open that eye, wide and clear!
Adorable little scamp though, who wouldn't have a soft heart for such an adorable little depth perception deprived face?

M

Maggie Cummings

Neohippy...I personally have used the Terramycin eye ointment for years. It is a wonder drug so if it hasn't worked on your animal then something is wrong. You need to use it 2 or 3 times a day faithfully. What does his eye look like? Have you told us how you keep him? Have you tweaked everything possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.