Redfoot eye problem

DiegoM

I have had a baby redfoot for about a month now. About a week ago we noticed he constantly had his eyes closed and wasn't moving around much and eating less. After doing some research I found it could be linked to the humidity levels and I'll admit the tank was kept a bit dry. As of yesterday we moved him from his 15g glass tank to a larger indoor wooden habitat I built. Im now making sure to mist some water around the mulch to keep it more humid along with some moss. As of today he was able to open his left eye after soaking in some water but his right eye stayed closed and he hasn't eaten in a few days.

I also have another redfoot in there with him but he was a gift we got a few days ago and he's doing great. The substrate is all mulch with a few areas of moist moss.

Any advice would help! Wesley and I thank you!

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

What are your four temps? Warm side? Cool side? Basking? Night? Also what are your humidity levels at?

I would probably separate the two. Especially since one isn't doing to well and the other one is.

DiegoM

The temp when the lights are on stay around 73-77. Humidity also is around 75%. Yesterday and today is when they were put into new enclosure so hoping humidity levels slowly rise. It is open top though. When lights go off I noticed temp goes to about 70.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Agree could be the lights.

I would also not let the temps drop below 80 with the higher humidity.

DiegoM

Agree could be the lights.

I would also not let the temps drop below 80 with the higher humidity.

Very annoying to find out that it's the lights because the reptile store set me up with everything and I guess clearly don't know that important piece of information! Not even a normal pet store...this place is famous here in south Florida and they fail to give me the proper instructions..

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Very annoying to find out that it's the lights because the reptile store set me up with everything and I guess clearly don't know that important piece of information! Not even a normal pet store...this place is famous here in south Florida and they fail to give me the proper instructions..
most pet stores truly have no idea how to properly care for there animals:(

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
The link I gave you will be a good reading for you. I would disregard most if not all of what the pet store told you.

seiff

Compact fluorescent... My recent research can be summed up more or less as follows:

2007 the CFL's were new and there were reported problems with the light effecting reptiles eyes. The issue is blamed on Chinese shipment / bulb design that emitted high levels of low frequency UV, which causes the problems.

2015 the manufacturers have "corrected" the design flaws and the bulbs are "safe". Not common, but instances arise that bring to question whether it was solved in the first place.

DiegoM

The link I gave you will be a good reading for you. I would disregard most if not all of what the pet store told you.

I just read the article. Got some good info. But did not see anything talking about specific lights or the problem with compact/coil bulbs

seiff

What exact bulb were you using and in what fixture / orientation? I'm just curious since I've read WAY too much in the last week about this topic.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I just read the article. Got some good info. But did not see anything talking about specific lights or the problem with compact/coil bulbs

That's a separate issue. Many people have posted about this issue. I have noticed the same with my animals with less than a couple days with that bulb.

Take a picture of it and post it.