Unhealthy eye

Location (City and/or State)
Southern England
Hello everyone
I recently bought a redfoot tortoise (about 2 weeks ago) and he or she has been very happy until a few days ago when I noticed that his/her eye looked puffy and the area around it was and is swollen, it seems like there is some dirt or somthing on his bottom eyelid. He/she has also stopped eating as much in the last couple of days and is not as active as before. I am giving him/her daily soaks and using a cotton bud with saline solution on it to gently wipe over his eye. Not sure of what exactly is wrong so any pointers would be helpful and I hope that I have been doing the correct things to help the tortoise (I still haven't named the tortoise because I'm awful at deciding what to call anything o_O)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you using coil type bulbs? What substrate are you using?
If using coil bulbs stop.

Southern England
No, I am using a ceramic heat bulb and for substrate it is a mix of coconut coir and forest floor or cypress mulch as some people call it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    998.9 KB · Views: 34

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello everyone
I recently bought a redfoot tortoise (about 2 weeks ago) and he or she has been very happy until a few days ago when I noticed that his/her eye looked puffy and the area around it was and is swollen, it seems like there is some dirt or somthing on his bottom eyelid. He/she has also stopped eating as much in the last couple of days and is not as active as before. I am giving him/her daily soaks and using a cotton bud with saline solution on it to gently wipe over his eye. Not sure of what exactly is wrong so any pointers would be helpful and I hope that I have been doing the correct things to help the tortoise (I still haven't named the tortoise because I'm awful at deciding what to call anything o_O)

I would avoid using an object (cotton swab) to slide across the eyeball surface---can cause small scratches....however, if you want to do a gentle water flush then you can achieve that by using a small squeeze bottle...and use tepid to cool plain water and gently flush the eyeball and surrounding area a few times a day for a few days....

Also, if you offer cucumber and the tort goes to town on it--the tortoise will likely end up with wet poo....:p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My dad just wanted to try cucumber to get Him to eat something but today the tortoise has been moving around more and has eaten some food (not wet foods)

Cucumber is not a bad food for this species....I hope it did not sound like I was implying that :p this species can eats lots of variety....just was assuring that wet poo would make sense if cucumber was offered and devoured....

Southern England
Oh ok :) I'm putting chlorophenicol (if I spelled it right) on his eye and giving daily soaks at the moment. He was also eating dandelion and walking around yesterday not so much today though:rolleyes: