Eye health

Status
Not open for further replies.

jethro

5 Year Member
I have a six year old redfoot (jethro). His left eye tends to water and not his right. He has water all the time and he eats well with a variety of foods. He's very active and seems healthy besides that. Any help?

jethro

5 Year Member
He is out doors for most of the day in a 4 by 5 enclosure i keep cypress mulch in a portion of it because he loves it. And I take him in at night. I live in southern Louisiana so it's always hot and humidity is usually high outdoors

Could something in his cage be bothering it? Thanks for the help! :)

Alan RF

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
I've noticed this more so when my RF is outside. Funny. I put it down to humidity?! Interested to read what others say...

jethro

5 Year Member
It is mostly when he gets outside. Nothing looks wrong with his eye and he has been like that since I got him. I guess it might have something to do with the weather, but why would it only be one eye then?

jethro

5 Year Member
Also turns out I'm pretty sure my jethro is a girl. I don't know if that changes anything :p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
LOL...now, boy or girl would not make the eyes water....perhaps the tort has a regular path in the outdoor yard that leads him under or through bushes or dirt that messes with his eye??? If he does not have the issue while in his indoor enclosure then it is likely something outdoors more than an issue with his eye itself...:D

jethro

5 Year Member
She/he does have a small bush that he loves to run through. But his eye has been like that since I first got him. He was kept outside by his previous owners he may have done the same thing.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
jethro said:
That's exactly how jethro does

Interesting! I don't know what sex Alan is yet but I agree it can't be a sex thing. I do think its going from his humid viv to a cooler outside or more air ?? I'm sure I read it was stress when I was first worried about it. I know as soon as he goes back to his viv he's fine :)

jethro

5 Year Member
It could be but it's been humid lately where I live outside and her eye still seems to be watering. Maybe it could be due to the lighting change? I very well might be the humidity because there is noticable difference between the outside humidity and the humidity inside her cage. I'm just unsure.

Kevinmk

5 Year Member
The same thing was happening with my red foot. I cranked up the humidity and it seems to make it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.