New to this...

Racheolive

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Just wanted to say that I am new to this forum as I am a new parent to a lovely little sulcata hatching and I wanted to say thank you for all the helpful content on this page. Any helpful advice for bringing up a healthy sulcata is welcomed and thank you in advance.

Attachments

• CC44B5D3-F5B3-4ACC-86AE-6147987EDDA2.jpeg
    CC44B5D3-F5B3-4ACC-86AE-6147987EDDA2.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 41

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Racheolive

Pennsylvania
I read them all and I thank you. I am going to do longer daily soakings as I think Irwin will benefit from it more. I live in PA so I know keeping him outside year round is impossible but the way I look at is, my friends are saving/planing for their kids college funds and I am saving/planning for my big indoor tortoise greenhouse/barn. It might be a challenge but it’s one I am definitely up for. Thanks again for the info. I have already learned a lot.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
Welcome to the forum and new baby. You will find so much info here from people who really know what they are doing.

Racheolive

Pennsylvania
I keep reading that coil lights are bad for Sulcatas is this the coil type people are referring too?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I keep reading that coil lights are bad for Sulcatas is this the coil type people are referring too?
Yes. It is a compact UVB bulb also called CFL

Time and again on TFO we stortoises with eye problems which go away when the coil bulb is replaced with either a tube UVB lamp or a Mercury Vapour Bulb (which combines UVB with a basking bulb in one lamp)

As a result, CFL bulbs are not recommended for use with any tortoise, not just Sulcatas.

Racheolive

Pennsylvania
Yes. It is a compact UVB bulb also called CFL

Time and again on TFO we stortoises with eye problems which go away when the coil bulb is replaced with either a tube UVB lamp or a Mercury Vapour Bulb (which combines UVB with a basking bulb in one lamp)

As a result, CFL bulbs are not recommended for use with any tortoise, not just Sulcatas.
Thank you! Do you recommend any particular brand or kind?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you! Do you recommend any particular brand or kind?
The best results and longest lasting bulbs are now being seen with the newer "HO" (high output) T5 bulbs. Don't worry about the technical terms. It can get confusing.

The best bulb for your situation will depend on the height you are going to mount it at. How high above the substrate will the new HO tube be? Under 18" inches, I like the ZooMed 10.0 HO bulbs. For 20-24" I like the Arcadia 12% HO bulbs. Both of these are very strong bulbs and make a lot of UV. Be sure there are hides and hiding places where the tortoise can escape from the light and UV.