Baby Sulcata’s

FrankieB

Location (City and/or State)
California
Any helpful tips on new born Sulcata’s with large yolks ? I currently have 2 of them on fresh greens staying hydrated . I’m not a breeder just a Sulcata owner & do not have an incubator . She laid about 25 eggs some have hatched & are gone to good Homes. 11 more eggs are left & 2 took longer then usual to make it out of the egg . These are the 2 with large yolks .
Thank you in advance .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Tom
My guess would be to keep them warm, on damp paper towel maybe under the greens to keep them humid and let them obsorb the sack.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Any helpful tips on new born Sulcata’s with large yolks ? I currently have 2 of them on fresh greens staying hydrated . I’m not a breeder just a Sulcata owner & do not have an incubator . She laid about 25 eggs some have hatched & are gone to good Homes. 11 more eggs are left & 2 took longer then usual to make it out of the egg . These are the 2 with large yolks .
Thank you in advance .

Hello and welcome Frankie.

Read that thread from Bam Bam, and come back and ask if you still have questions. :)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The link provided to Toms thread is perfect for you

I keep them on damp paper towels and in the incubator until the yolk sac is absorbed. Some with really large yolk sacs and they did just fine. If the yolk sac is quite large I would normally keep that tortoise alone so nothing can possibly puncture the delicate sac.

I do soak daily even then and also have started putting in a rotation of foods to nibble on right away the past few years in seeing Toms success. Just be sure to keep the yolk sac clean,moist, and away from anything that could damage it. It normally will be absorbed in 3-4 days if large.