New to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
Hey! My name is Josh and I'm new I this. I have a box turtle named Marvin, but im not sure which kind he is. Also, I live in Colorado so it's pretty dry so any ideas on how to increase the humidity? Thank you :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Welcome Josh! Was this a box turtle found in your area? Then I would guess it's an Ornate. If you post us pictures, we can give you an ID on him. Are you needing to increase humidity in an indoor enclosure or outdoor? How do you have him currently (that will help us give you some better ideas). :tort:

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Welcome Josh! Was this a box turtle found in your area? Then I would guess it's an Ornate. If you post us pictures, we can give you an ID on him. Are you needing to increase humidity in an indoor enclosure or outdoor? How do you have him currently (that will help us give you some better ideas). :tort:

Nope.. I didnt find him.. I got him from a friend, then told me he was a Russian, but after looking up pictures he has no resemblence to them.. Right now i dont have anything used to humidify, but he has a dish to soak in. I am looking to increase humidity in an indoor enclosure. I will post pictures later.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
You can Buy or build a fogger system, you can buy parts on amazon or at your local hardware store,
you can also just get a spray bottle and spray the whole enclosure and shell several times daily, if you have a heat lamp or heat mvb. The Heat and water will create humidity. Keep him humid and hot :)

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
Jacob said:
You can Buy or build a fogger system, you can buy parts on amazon or at your local hardware store,
you can also just get a spray bottle and spray the whole enclosure and shell several times daily, if you have a heat lamp or heat mvb. The Heat and water will create humidity. Keep him humid and hot :)

Thanks!! I'll have to do that. Also, what substrait shold be used? Right now i'm using mulch, but that just seems kind of hard on his feet and a week ago he actually cut his foot, but i took care of that and he is doing much better

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Personally I like the coir bricks with some sand added. Some folks use chemical free soil. I also with my box turtles have a pile of old leaves.

This is an example with a hatchling enclosure. The leaves quickly loose this look and turn into more of a mulchy crumpled dark look. :D In this picture, I don't have many plants, but plants too help hold in humidity. Another thing is to cover atleast part of your tank, if your still needing more humidity.
082-1-1.jpg

083-1-1.jpg

085-1-1.jpg

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
Okay! I think he is a 3 toed boxie.. Pictures attached. And he had been rubbing his eyes lately, however they are not puffy or anything. Is this normal?

Attachments

• image-3173768345.png
    image-3173768345.png
    734.6 KB · Views: 15
  • image-2746897324.png
    image-2746897324.png
    812.2 KB · Views: 23
  • image-4163770115.png
    image-4163770115.png
    197.3 KB · Views: 15

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:( Pictures did not come thru. :( Are you using photobucket, tinypics, or something else?

Some eye rubbing is normal. Some rubbing can be cleaning the eye of mater that may have gotten into it. Can be a sign of not enough humidity. Can be a light that is bothering to him. Lots of possibilities. Glad they are not puffy, as that is indeed a bad sign. How often is he doing this?

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
Hmmm.. I'm using the iPhone app right now so I'm am uploading directly from there. I'll try again. And the eye rubbing is only like 2 times a day at the most but it's enough to catch my attention. And thanks for the pics it helped a lot! I'm going to the store later to get a fogger and I'll pic up some plants too! Any recommendations??

image-3155866729.png

image-289294358.png

image-2738562357.png

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
:( Pictures did not come thru. :( Are you using photobucket, tinypics, or something else?

Some eye rubbing is normal. Some rubbing can be cleaning the eye of mater that may have gotten into it. Can be a sign of not enough humidity. Can be a light that is bothering to him. Lots of possibilities. Glad they are not puffy, as that is indeed a bad sign. How often is he doing this?

I hope the pictures work this time!! Let me know!! untitled3.png
untitled2.png
untitled.png

Last edited by a moderator:

TORTOISEMAN1

5 Year Member
FL
Hello to you and Marvin! Welcome to the forum!!

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
joshtaylor123 said:
Okay! I think he is a 3 toed boxie.. Pictures attached. And he had been rubbing his eyes lately, however they are not puffy or anything. Is this normal?

Here he is....wow what a good looking 3 toed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.