New to tortoise forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Long Island Greek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island New York
Hello my name is Kevin and I recently got a Greek tortoise. His name is Oogway he is about 6 inches in length and he loves to climb. It would be of great help if there is any advice that anyone can offer about caring for my Oogway, thank you all in advance for any help . :)

Attachments

• S1090011.JPG
    S1090011.JPG
    483.6 KB · Views: 37
  • S1110001.JPG
    S1110001.JPG
    414.3 KB · Views: 46
  • S1110002.JPG
    S1110002.JPG
    294.6 KB · Views: 29

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
welcome! love the name of the trot =] check out the Greek tortoise section and dive into the wealth of knowledge!

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Welcome to the forum Kevin! Based on the pictures it looks like some sort of hybrid between a hermann and a greek. Where did you get Oogway from? I would upgrade the enclosure asap and try to set something up outside if you can. What are you feeding him/her? Also if you can get plastron (bottom shell) pics then we will have more of an idea of what kind of tortoise you have.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. A larger enclosure is needed. Also an outdoor enclosure for the warm days.

Long Island Greek

5 Year Member
Long Island New York
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome. A larger enclosure is needed. Also an outdoor enclosure for the warm days.
I just ordered a Christmas tree container I believe the dimensions 43Lx21Wx18H (50gallons)as for an outdoor habitat I live on Long Island New York and its already starting to cool down and would be inhabitable for him outdoors but next spring i most definitely will make it a priority, thank you though I sincerely appreciate the help.

Long Island Greek

5 Year Member
Long Island New York
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Welcome to the forum Kevin! Based on the pictures it looks like some sort of hybrid between a hermann and a greek. Where did you get Oogway from? I would upgrade the enclosure asap and try to set something up outside if you can. What are you feeding him/her? Also if you can get plastron (bottom shell) pics then we will have more of an idea of what kind of tortoise you have.

I purchased Oogway from a shop that specializes and exclusively deals with Reptiles "Jungle Bob's". When I bought him he said it was a Greek but I agree I find it difficult finding one that matches Oogway's appearance perfectly in regards to all the subspecies; however I am a newb so I could be mistaken. As for the enclosure I just bought a 50 gallon storage bin its dimensions are 43Lx21Wx18H which would make the new length 10 inches longer and 4 inches wider than what appears in the photos I posted. As for his diet I am feeding him once to twice daily about 2.5 cups of either kale, collard greens, romaine lettuce, and or mustard greens. I buy two varieties each week and then mix it up the next week but he always has 2 of the 4 each day he appears to only actually eat 1-2 cups of what I serve him though. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me, also I have as his substrate now a product called Repti-Bark however I hear that Cypress mulch is a better option for him would you agree with this? Thanks again

Attachments

• S1120001.JPG
    S1120001.JPG
    372.2 KB · Views: 19
  • S1120002.JPG
    S1120002.JPG
    400.1 KB · Views: 16
  • S1120003.JPG
    S1120003.JPG
    311 KB · Views: 21
  • S1120004.JPG
    S1120004.JPG
    280.7 KB · Views: 13
  • S1120005.JPG
    S1120005.JPG
    330.7 KB · Views: 21

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! I don't think anybody commented on the substrate, so I will, of the two my personal preference would be the cypress mulch. How are you enjoying your little one?

Long Island Greek

5 Year Member
Long Island New York
Jacqui said:
Hi and welcome! I don't think anybody commented on the substrate, so I will, of the two my personal preference would be the cypress mulch. How are you enjoying your little one?

Oogway has been awesome I now use cypress mulch I need to update the pictures. He has a lot of energy and loves to climb. Thank you for the warm welcome =)

Status
Not open for further replies.