new to tortoise

Action

Location (City and/or State)
Valley Springs, Ca.
So i am interested in getting a Sulcata. It will be housed inside (until bigger)in northern California. I think I have my lighting and heating figured out but i read a lot about humidity but I cant find out how I can go about raising it ? I just want everything the best I can do before I get 1.
Thanks
Jack

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
The most important factor will be what you use for your enclosure. Something with an open top will be next to impossible to maintain proper humidity levels. Go with a closed chamber type enclosure.

Next is choosing the best substrate. There are several good options but definitely a few to avoid such as sand, rabbit pellets, or hay. Coco coir, Cypress mulch, and organic top soil make for great options. Each has it's pros and cons which is why I personally like a mixture of all 3. Make sure you get something that will hold in moisture to keep humidity levels up.

Now that you have the first two done there obviously needs to be water involved. You can spray the enclosure down daily which is what most people do or you can purchase an automatic misting system or fogger. I personally would forgo the fogger option and either spray manually or get a mister. You can get a small pressure sprayer on Amazon for under $10 and they work like a charm.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
as for spraying water......I am guessing straight water and just damp not soggy ?
Thanks
Correct. You'll need to purchase a hygrometer to test out the humidity levels and spray accordingly.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
To keep humidity where it needs to be, you need a closed chamber. Just spraying the enclosure will not do it. A baby needs 80 to 100 percent humidity to stop or prevent pyramiding. Please reD our sulcata care sheets. They will explain it all to you.