New Sulcata Owner, Wanting suggestions.

loopacia

5 Year Member
Hello, I will be ordering my new hatchling sulcata tomorrow and I have read every single article I can find online My hatchling will be around 18-20 weeks old when I get it. There are so many things that are contradicting in my research. I have made a turtle table 5x3 foot. I have a uvb light and heat light ready. Made substrate out of cypress mulch and peat moss. Some questions.....my turtle table is not covered but could order plexy glass to go on top if needed (is it?), what foods do you feed your hatchlings? Any suggestions on raising a sulcata??? Much appreciated! Cant wait for this adventure!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Please read all info in the sulcata section on this forum. I'm afraid you probably go most of your info off the forum and its old and outdated. Yes, you should cover the table, a closed high humidity 80% with 80 temps and 95-100 basking spot is needed.

loopacia

5 Year Member
Also, keep water in habitat or not??? That one has been back and forth.......some have said to soak 3 times a week and no water in habitat and some things have said to keep water in habitat and soak every day!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Also, keep water in habitat or not??? That one has been back and forth.......some have said to soak 3 times a week and no water in habitat and some things have said to keep water in habitat and soak every day!

Yes keep a small water dish in the enclosure and I would suggest daily soaks for a while. Hopefully you a get the tort from a breeder that is following the closed warm and humid techniques

Read the care sheets on this section and follow them closely and you will be a very happy owner. This is the most up to date and best advice on the web.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Just my suggestion but I would hold off ordering tomorrow because a few reasons. 1. Shipping, I would worry about the service because of Thanksgiving 2. And most importantly study up on this site and make some changes to the enclosure and make sure temps are good and close up the table.

loopacia

5 Year Member
Just my suggestion but I would hold off ordering tomorrow because a few reasons. 1. Shipping, I would worry about the service because of Thanksgiving 2. And most importantly study up on this site and make some changes to the enclosure and make sure temps are good and close up the table.
I am considering putting it off a little longer. I havent tested any of my temps yet so that will need to be done. It seems every time I think I am ready then I have to change things because there are not many places that are familiar with sulcatas and the internet keeps saying different things. I have already read all the forums on sulcata tortoise care on this forum.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I agree there is a lot of conflicting info out there and I went through the same situation as you. I lost my first Sulcata because I was torn and conflicted because of the info but once I found this site and followed the advice, I couldn't be happier with my results. My Sulcata has gotten big in 2 years and very smooth thanks to these care sheets and several members on the site.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
yep Read it!! Thanks so much for the advice and info. I really dont want to spend all this money on a tortoise and then lose it to bad information and care!
That reason alone.. i highly recommend you to follow this forum care sheet. can't go wrong.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Someone has already linked Beginner Mistakes

Follow the guidance in these two threads and you will be just fine

How to raise a healthy Sulcata
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

For those who have a young Sulcata
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

There is a lot of outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too. The TFO species experts who wrote these are trying to get the correct information out there.

Your young Sulcata needs a closed chamber (look in the Enclosures forum for ideas) and high humidity for healthy growth. You will need to have a digital probe hygrometer to measure humidity and a temperature gun type thermometer to measure temperatures accurately at tortoise level on the floor of the enclosure.