New Sulcata owner Pictures :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newhatching

5 Year Member
Hi I am a new owner to a hatchling Sulcata , I have still not yet been able to pick out a name for it . I am open to suggestions for names :)

She is currently housed in a 5/10 gallon glass tank with the bare neccessitys as I am on a vaccation and she was a gift . has a bigger tank awaiting there .
I was browsing on a classified sight and came across this tortoise table for 80.00 canadian and thought I would grab it . Its 4 feet long 2 feet wide has a plexi glass front . Its seal coated or whatever so it can be misted and have a damp subitrate ? What do you guys think would it be good for my baby when shes alittle bigger ?

Attachments

• IMG_0535.JPG
    IMG_0535.JPG
    445.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0532.JPG
    IMG_0532.JPG
    456.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0534.JPG
    IMG_0534.JPG
    370.7 KB · Views: 77

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I'm NOT the expert here but I think you're in desperate need of a bigger enclosure for your baby. The 4'x2' is a much better option than what he/she's in right now. I would also find a hide box that is NOT transparent. The whole idea of a hide box is so that your baby can... well hide. If you can see in than your tortoise can see out and it's a big scary world out there for a baby Sully. Post your question in the "Enclosures" section of the forum and you'll get some great ideas from very experienced owners! Good luck!!!

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I agree with Anthony. The table will provide a much better environment for longer and an opaque hide box would make it feel more comfortable.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
I recommend the name Pee-Wee.. :D It'll be cute and funny when he/she gets older and big!

Newhatching

5 Year Member
Hi , please read the post ' I made he is in a small terrarium right now because I am on vaccation and I recieved him as a gift this is the only thing I had to put him in while I was here I am on vaccation for another week then I return home where I have a glass tank 50 gallon I plan on keeping him for roughly 3 months untill I arrange a place for the new tortoise table to go :)

M

Maggie Cummings

You need to read up on the care and keeping of Sulcata then decide what type of habitat fits your household...

Newhatching

5 Year Member
Hi I am doing research and the tortoise table I bought is what I read to be good for her in a couple months

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i wish people wouldnt not give live animals as gifts.. give a certificate and let the person get something when they are Ready...
anyway... Welcome!
the table would be a great start..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I like the bigger enclosure, but is that stuff that is all in the inside corners and edges removable. Its taking up floorspace and likely to flip your baby.

The 50 sounds like it will work for a while too.

Good luck and we're happy to offer tips.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tom said:
Hello and welcome.

I like the bigger enclosure, but is that stuff that is all in the inside corners and edges removable. Its taking up floorspace and likely to flip your baby.

The 50 sounds like it will work for a while too.

Good luck and we're happy to offer tips.

Welcome! First off what a cutie! That is one gift which will not be put into a back closet and forgotten! :D

With the enclosure your thinking of getting, if you could not remove the edging, hilly looking stuff, you could just make the substrate deeper to cover it. :cool:

doubletorts

5 Year Member
Although the bigger would work great for your new tort, however that might only last a few months. It's cheaper (for the long run) to spend the money to build a tortoise table. Also, it might even be cheaper to just build one yourself rather than buying one already made. On the note of the sides, if your baby can see out of it, it is more likely to become stressed due to trying to get to the other side of that glass. Something less see through is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.