New to Tortoises, new to forum, good day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

e_tar

5 Year Member
Good morning all!
My name is Chris and I have a 5/6 month old Sulcata. I brought him home yesterday. The previous owner Ryan may or may not be on here, took really good care of him and I got the entire setup from him. I live in Tracy, CA.

I've owned a mix of 6 red eared slider and terrapin turtles before, but never a Tort. New experience for me. So totally unlike turtles in energy and need for wetness.

He seems fine, haven't named him yet, he has been sleeping sprawled out since I got him. One side of his enclosure is 78 degrees and the other side is a couple degrees less. Why does he sleep so much? I keep his water bowl full and food bowl full with a mix of grass, salad greens and a dandelion or two.

Will post up some pics in a few. :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Chris and welcome to the Forum! That sprawled out position tells me that your tortoise is too cold. They stretch out trying to expose more of them so they can absorb more heat. You should have the spot directly under the light 100F or a little more, with it fading to about 80-85 of the warm end and room temp, or about 75 on the opposite end.

Five or six months is still pretty much a baby, and babies sleep a lot.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to tfo! Sulcata is a very popular tort around here with many members that have them. This forum has huge amounts of information on keeping them happy and healthy. It is also always nice to gain another California member. I'm in Sacramento myself.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I concur. You need some warmer temps. Click the links in my signature for more sulcata info.

e_tar

5 Year Member
kanalomele said:
Welcome to tfo! Sulcata is a very popular tort around here with many members that have them. This forum has huge amounts of information on keeping them happy and healthy. It is also always nice to gain another California member. I'm in Sacramento myself.

Thanks Kanalomele!
I drive to Sacramento every so often to pick up old cars and car parts.
I've been reading a lot about sulcatas on the forum.
Wonderful and informative place you guys have here.

e_tar

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Hello and welcome. I concur. You need some warmer temps. Click the links in my signature for more sulcata info.

Tom,
Should I get bigger bulbs? or lower the lamps?
I also have a question about this 'reptilian bulb' I got it is a coiled UV bulb, looks like those energy saver bulbs one gets in a store. I've heard they are harmful to torts eyes.. is that true?

I will post pics when I get access to do so.

Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Some of Toms great threads for sulcatas are also in the bottom of my post. BTW, what's your humidity? Should be 80

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Dallas Texas BABY!
Hi you sound just like me!!!!!!! I love mine! Mine is about 5 months old too! Aren't they adroable and hilarious!! I have had mine for about 3 weeks and still have not named! I'm thinking Nala. If you need anything you can email or PM me. Also more about my setuo and stuff I just made a thread it might answer some of your questions or concerns.

e_tar

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:) Some of Toms great threads for sulcatas are also in the bottom of my post. BTW, what's your humidity? Should be 80

Thank you, good threads, reading them now..

animalfreak said:
Hi you sound just like me!!!!!!! I love mine! Mine is about 5 months old too! Aren't they adroable and hilarious!! I have had mine for about 3 weeks and still have not named! I'm thinking Nala. If you need anything you can email or PM me. Also more about my setuo and stuff I just made a thread it might answer some of your questions or concerns.

emysemys said:
Hi Chris and welcome to the Forum! That sprawled out position tells me that your tortoise is too cold. They stretch out trying to expose more of them so they can absorb more heat. You should have the spot directly under the light 100F or a little more, with it fading to about 80-85 of the warm end and room temp, or about 75 on the opposite end.

Five or six months is still pretty much a baby, and babies sleep a lot.

Thanks emysemys!

e_tar

5 Year Member
Here are a few pictures of the Tort and the setup.
All suggestions welcomed.
Should I put a plant in? real or plastic?

IMG_3057.jpg

IMG_3056.jpg

IMG_3058.jpg

IMG_3059-1.jpg

IMG_3055.jpg

IMG_3054.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You need to lower at least one of those lights/heat.

e_tar

5 Year Member
I removed the coiled bulb from the enclosure and installed a broad spectrum uv tube light.
But my tort just sits there, sleeping.
He hasn't eaten in the 2 days I've had him and he doesn't open his eyes, just opens them in little slits sometimes.
I took him outdoors and put him on the front lawn on the grass in the sun for 20 minutes. Again, just sitting there, eyes not opening.

What to do?

Well, from time to time he does open his eyes in slits and moves about changes position and then goes back to sleep. So I know he's alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.