New to Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Hi I'm interested in getting my very first tortoise!! Any helpful tips for a beginner is greatly appreciated :) Thank you! :tort:

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Read, read, read then read some more,LOL. You should have everything set up and temps tested before you bring a tort home. TFO is the best place to get all the research you need to take care of a tort. Are you thinking of a hatchling? They need the right conditions to grow healthy and smooth. Welcome and if you can't find answers on the threads ask away:)

Forgot to ask, what kind of tortoise are you thinking of getting? The care can differ for different tortoises.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum..

Knowing what species of tortoise you plan on getting will determine the advice you will get as all tortoises do not require the same care...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi DanaLachney:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your questions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The kind of tortoise and where you live, state, and if you have outdoor space will help us a lot, to be able to help you. Also already stated, read, read, then read some more. The info on TFO is the only info you will need. Most pet stores and some breeders still have outdated wrong info. If you can purchase your tort from a TFO member, you and your tort will have a better start.
oh ya WELOME:D

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
I'm from Louisiana and was thinking of a Redfoot or Greek :) I'm just having trouble finding the right enclosure as in whether I should buy one, make one, go plastic tub or what to use :-( so many options I'm on tortoise overload lol

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Torts are awesome! My #1 tip would be to keep those humidity levels up. This is a great place to learn though! Welcome!

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Thank you! I would love a Sully but I could never handle a fully grown 100+lbs Sulcata :( so I'm probably going with a Greek or redfoot :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! What is it about the Greek that you are liking and what about the Redfoot?

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Welcome! What is it about the Greek that you are liking and what about the Redfoot?

Well I like the size of the Greeks Compared to the redfoot BUT Greeks are native to dry climate I'm in Louisiana. As for the redfoot I like the fact they do not hibernate and they like humidity. Both species are beautiful :)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!
I would suggest you look at the large veriety of Tortoises and Turrles out there, Find the one you LIKE, then read all you can about THAT species. After you do all that reading, decide how old you want to start you friend at.... Hatchlings are tougher than you think! A yearling is a good starting age.

lauren43201

5 Year Member
Crown Point, Indiana
DanaLachney said:
I'm from Louisiana and was thinking of a Redfoot or Greek :) I'm just having trouble finding the right enclosure as in whether I should buy one, make one, go plastic tub or what to use :-( so many options I'm on tortoise overload lol
Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place for advice on care for tortoises! :D I have a russian tortoise and i just love his personality (Russian is similar to the greek) i highly recommend them or a hermann. As for enclosure, building one is quite easy and costs about an average of $20, depending where you get your supplies. A plastic tub works just as well, and can be bought for even cheaper! But good luck, and welcome again. :)

Vishnu

5 Year Member
I am a HUGE fan of Russians. They are outgoing, hardy and just generally sweet tortoises. However, I am somewhat biased, I have 4. :) Did I happen to mention they are cute?

Vishnu

5 Year Member
DanaLachney said:
I've been having trouble finding a breeder for Russians and Hermann's :-/

Have you tried CL? Petfinder? Ebay Classifieds? Or here?

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
I don't mess with craigslist. Petfinder was a waist of time. Haven't tried eBay and I know there are breeders om here just having trouble finding them for those breeds :)

daisydot

5 Year Member
Oh and if your looking for a good breeder also try kingsnake classifieds!

Status
Not open for further replies.