New to tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarissaRelf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I would love some more info on her staying outside. I hate depriving her but I didn't think outdoors was possible because of rain. I would also love some outside enclosure ideas (preferably ones that you don't have to dig the ground up to make because we are renting and will be renting again when we move) Since I was new at this I was just going to make it through the winter with her indoors while I plan my outdoor enclosure for next year when it starts getting warm again (around June) But if there was a simple, inexpensive way to keep her outdoors I wouldn't be opposed.

Also a way to keep them safe from dogs would be nice (we have 2 that don't much care for small animals)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
If you can make even a 4'x8' enclosure with cinder blocks or those decorative landscape blocks,( my wife requires this from me) with a southern exposure on the long way it would be great. Remember, bigger is better. Make 2 or more frames out of 2x2's covered with hardware cloth to help protect them. As stated in earlier posts, the only drawback to a cover is you can't grow tall plants.
Russian tortoises are climbers so you'll want to make triangles out of wood in the corners to keep them in. They will climb 90 degree angles or less like rock climbers do up a stovepipe. I've found with Russian tortoises a metal paint roller pan with those cheap plastic liners works good buried as a water dish. When the water gets foul,( daily) you simply pull one tray out and clean it while your back up plastic liner is providing water.
Make sure you provide lots of shade covering for him while still allowing sunning opportunities. Hope this helps. Keep asking…myself and others will keep answering.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Just a for instance, this morning at 9:15 in the shade I had an outside reading of 45. In the sun at 9:30 I've got 69. This is, IMO fine for Russians provided they can get in and out of the sun.
I'm in the foothills, so often I'm not getting the fog that socks the flatlands in.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I'd also like to point something out. It may or may not be an issue but just to be safe i'd be sure to to have anything like that hide too close to the edge of the container (it's hard to tell in the pic how tall the container is) because the Russian tortoises can be really good climbers. And for a quick upgrade run over to WalMart and pick up the largest (surface area, not height) container you can find and you should be able to comfortably house him/her indoors for a little while without a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.