New to your forum!

eddie2013

Hello Everyone and thank you for allowing me to join the forum! I have a Red Footed Tortoise, approximately 7-9 years old. I have owned her for about 2 years now. Someone gave her to me as their kids were "tired" of taking care of her. While I knew NOTHING about tortoise care, I did my due diligence and learned quickly. When I got her she had pretty much zero substrate and was in maybe a 20 gallon tank. She was only fed the pellets from the pet store. Nothing fresh at all. Since I've had her, she has graduated to a much larger terrarium, outgrew that, gets fresh food, and I let her out almost daily. She has probably almost doubled in size since I have had her. Maybe not quite, but close. She started to flip herself about a year ago in her larger house. She does not "right" herself, so therefore I get very worried and drive home at lunch to check on her. She now lives in our spare room. I have turned her house sideways with the substrate for her to get into and out of, she has a heat lamp, UV lamp, heater, and humidifier. She seems to be content in the whole entire bedroom, however she has still flipped herself a few times here and there. Here is my concern: My family and I have a summer cabin and leave every weekend. Where as before she would be fine with food and water for a few days, I now worry she will be flipped when we get home on Sunday night. I have neighbors check on her but for an entire summer it is quite a lot to ask.We are also considering buying a smaller home soon and she won't be able to have the same space. I have thought about re-homing her but wouldn't do it unless I knew she would have enough room and the proper care. So...here I am, looking for ANY insight or thoughts about my situation. I know this is long, but thanks for reading and your comments are welcome! By the way, she is sassy as ever, loves to get out and cruise around and torment my dog as much as possible. She has a great personality.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello Eddie and welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Tricky problem you have with your bouncy, energetic young lady.
At least it's only weekends and not the whole summer.
Would it be possible for you to pay a tortoise-sitter? Someone you trust to stay in the house at weekends or visit occasionally to help out the neighbours.
Careful of the dog. Many horror stories here of dogs that are fine with torts for years, gentle loving animals that suddenly decide it's a chew toy when your backs turned just for a single moment.
Regarding rehoming, where abouts are you?

eddie2013

Hi There,

I know what you mean about the dog. He is ignores her to the fullest and I don't let any other dogs near her for that fear of what you are talking about. When he sees her out he heads upstairs to the bedroom most of the time :) She is just sassy enough to think it wouldn't happen either.

I do have a tortoise sitter occasionally. It gets a little costly but I will use her if we are on an extended vacation. I am located in Northern Nevada and as I said I would be willing to re-home her IF it was the right fit. I feel she has a great home with us (compared to what she had) but sometimes wonder if she is truly happy. She seems to be anyhow. Thanks for the welcome and the information!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
She sounds healthy and outgoing, friendly and inquisitive, you've given her lots of space and all the bits and pieces she needs. As long as her temps, humidity and food are correct, and from what you say, you've done your research, she should be about as happy as a tortoise can get.
Have a look at the Red Foot information on this site to see if there's something you missed or has changed over time.
I know nothing of Nevada, but hopefully someone else may know of someone in your area who may take her in if it comes to that.
I hope not. You obviously care deeply about her.
Tortoises make people better people in my opinion, but you're right, her comfort should be a priority.
Good luck.

eddie2013

Thank you! That is exactly how I feel about her. I have many animals, and I always put their care/happiness first. I will do some reading up on this site for sure. Thanks again

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Eddie, and welcome to the Forum!

Why don't you bring the tortoise with you for the summer? You can buy a couple of very large plastic totes, cut out opposing ends, and put them together to make one great big tote. If the weather's nice where you're going, you can even put her outside.

eddie2013

I have thought about that but it does get cold at night most of the summer. It is high elevation. In order to have our electric working we have to have the generator running, and that cant' happen at night time. Therefore, I wouldn't be able to provide the necessary heat for her.