New Tort

Scubaroo

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Thanks!! I love what your doing and want to know how you are doing everything!

His enclosure is 4ft. By 8ft. It's a mixture of rocks, soil, mulch and grass. As you can see the grass has started dying finally. But it still has some left. He has several hides to go into, but mainly sticks with the smaller flower pot. Also have 2 uvb/uva bulbs and a ceramic heater that I put on him if it gets cooler at night.
He has a little saucer to soak in but never does. But I fill it with warm water every morning as I water the grass and his yard to keep humidity high. That's what the plastic over the screens is for as well. It creates a nice humid chamber for him, and I have a small space heater to set out there this winter as we may get some colder days.
I'm growing clovers and grass in the pot in the front of the pictures, but it hasn't been growing so well. At my work I have a whole flower bed where I've recently started growing food as well.
And yes those are a couple security cameras set up to watch what he gets up to. He is less active if I sit where he can see me, so I like to hide inside and watch him on my phone and he explores all over and climbs and has fun. 20171023_132005.jpg 20171023_132034.jpg 20171023_132021.jpg

Kittivan

Chicago
Nice set up! What camera do you have? I'm looking into getting one myself, I'm tired of trying to be a ninja to spy on my Aldabra so I don't disturb it,LOL.Is there a phone ap to go along with the camera? What type of lighting do you have? I use the zoo med power sun 160 watt MVB and the zoo med ceramic heat emiter for night time. I also use a couple of the deep dome dual housings like you have. The stand works nicely because I can adjust the height to get the perfect temp depending on the temps Around the enclosure.

Scubaroo

Florida
The cameras are Funlux brand. i'm not entirely sure which ones, it was an amazon day deal, so it came with 4 cameras, and memory storage and all that, i keep two on the tortoise and one one the front door now. and yes, there's an ap to go with it, i can set it so my phone will buzz if there is movement while i'm not home and it'll back up the movement on my phone as well in case i ever get broken into. there's several cool functions with the ap.
The bulb is an exo terra 160 mvb/uva solar glow. and the smaller one is one uva, one mvb. not sure the brand anymore. I do love the stands as well, except for they are kinda pricey for what they are. I had tried to put screws into the ceiling out there, but couldn't ever get the leverage and power to get them in.
then i could just hang them, but oh well.

Kittivan

Chicago
The cameras are Funlux brand.
The bulb is an exo terra 160 mvb/uva solar glow. and the smaller one is one uva, one mvb. not sure the brand anymore. I do love the stands as well, except for they are kinda pricey for what they are. I had tried to put screws into the ceiling out there, but couldn't ever get the leverage and power to get them in.
then i could just hang them, but oh well.

Great info. I appreciate you taking the time to share.

I agree, the stands are expensive for what they are (quite flimsy actually) but they seem to do the job well. Your set up looks great.

Scubaroo

Florida
No big leaps this week. Both my torts seemed to have slowed down to growing any but eat a tremendous amount of food. 20171106_104709.jpg

N

no one

Oh now I do. Can you put him on the counter and take a picture on eye level? Maybe that helps.
He is getting big. Lol

Scubaroo

Florida
His down a little but still growing bigger it seems. He wasn't eating alot for a few days but I've got a nice bigger heater for him and he has been much hungrier since. He doesn't seem to like to be under 85 degrees. 20171128_084644.jpg

Alaskamike

South Florida
I enjoy your updates. When I look at them it reminds me of my first year with CupCake. I was taking her weight once a week for a long time & marveling at how fast she grew. Now I am lucky if I weigh her once a month :)
It’s not that she’s any less interesting to me , just confidence in her health I think. With winter here ( what passes for winter in South Florida lol ) she usually slows a bit in her activity. I keep her hide at 85f but the days , while sunny , can be chilly. She doesn’t eat as much nor is she quite as active. Though today will get up to 83f.

There must be hundreds if not 1,000ds of people raising Aldabra by now. But only a handful here on TF. It’s great to observe & learn from each other.