New tortoise advice needed :)

lylebailey

Hello all.

I picked up my other half's 2 tortoise. They are both Horsefield ones.

I have just out them both in their house and spotted one of them with both eyes like this.....

Does anyone know what this could be? it is both sides.

Thank You

:tort::tort::tort::tort:

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool
if both eyes are closed the setup could be to cold for them, also i would recommend bathing them for 20mins in lukewarm water asap and continue doing it for a week, if no improvement take to vet, but he will recommend bathing them first, any pictures of the setup and the lightening you use along with the temperatures.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum. You'll love it here, and get all the help you need.

Sorry to have read about your torts' eyes. Also sorry that I can't be of help-am no expert. In the meantime you could read care sheets, different threads, and last but not least "beginners' thread.' Where do you live, and what is the weather like now, there? Please make sure it isn't too cold for the torts. What do you feed them? How about posting pics of the enclosure?

Good luck to you and your torts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

There's no time to waste. This is a pretty sick little baby. Start soaking it in warm water immediately. A warm soak for about 15 minutes daily. In the mean time, make sure your tortoise's habitat is warm enough. For babies it should be around 80F degrees with not much of a drop in temp. at night.

It's a house of cards type thing. If the habitat isn't warm enough, the tortoise stops eating. When the tortoise stops eating his eyes swell due to lack of vitamin A. But, whatever you do, if you take this baby to the vet do not allow a vitamin A injection. You can get this vitamin into the baby other ways besides a jab.

Do a search for baby food soaks.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

There's no time to waste. This is a pretty sick little baby. Start soaking it in warm water immediately. A warm soak for about 15 minutes daily. In the mean time, make sure your tortoise's habitat is warm enough. For babies it should be around 80F degrees with not much of a drop in temp. at night.

It's a house of cards type thing. If the habitat isn't warm enough, the tortoise stops eating. When the tortoise stops eating his eyes swell due to lack of vitamin A. But, whatever you do, if you take this baby to the vet do not allow a vitamin A injection. You can get this vitamin into the baby other ways besides a jab.

Do a search for baby food soaks.

Hello Yvonne how do you know so much about tortoises? you'll like amazing with detail!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've been on the planet for quite a few years, and have been involved with turtles and tortoises since the '60s. Mostly it's osmosis, but I've seen quite a few health problems from doing rescue work for quite a few years.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
I've been on the planet for quite a few years, and have been involved with turtles and tortoises since the '60s. Mostly it's osmosis, but I've seen quite a few health problems from doing rescue work for quite a few years.
Wow!! So which would you say is your fav tortoise then? i have a breeding pair of hermann's, and 2 leopards, i adore tortoises and want more, am moving to a new home in few weeks so i have a bigger garden.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi David:

Let's don't derail lylebailey's thread about her sick tortoise. This subject is too important for us to take it off on a tangent. You can ask your question in a new thread and I'll be happy to respond.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
Hi David:

Let's don't derail lylebailey's thread about her sick tortoise. This subject is too important for us to take it off on a tangent. You can ask your question in a new thread and I'll be happy to respond.
sorry.