Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Your walls are way too low, coil type bulbs can burn their eyes, those clamps will eventually fail which could lead to a serious disaster, and there is no way to maintain decent humidity for your little one in that open topped sweater box. How do you maintain night temps in that? Is the whole room kept at 80?

I'm not trying to shoot you down, I'm trying to offer some constructive criticism BEFORE you make the same mistakes that I and many others have made in the past.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
It looks really good and I like it.
We all go through learning curves with our tortoises and enclosures.
I learned from Tom and others like him( above post)
I would definitely take heed to his advice, to ensure the health of the tortoise.
Your doing good!

mhcl2241

5 Year Member
Noted for the coil bulb... I can change that out with no problem. I can also make the walls higher with no problem as well. The temperatures do not fall much below 75 in this room right now, but that may change in a few months when winter hits..... so do you have any suggestions for that other than completely starting all over?? Though that may be the case if I cannot get the humidity correct.... Every time I think I might be getting somewhere I am taking two steps back! Learning process....

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
You will get it right!! Atleast you care enough to do it the right way!! Some people dont.
You are a great tortoise parent!! :) :)

mhcl2241

5 Year Member
OK, so I have a question.. when the tortoises are full grown, and clearly cannot be kept in any box container or tank, how do you manage all the above?? I honestly was not thinking at all about humidity when I started this project... now I am stumped.....

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I dont think they need as much humidity when they are full grown. Someone will reply soon and tell you for sure!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is what I recommend:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

I'm sorry that it IS starting all over, but I have just never been able to make an open topped enclosure work, even after years of trying. Its just physics. Maintaining warm humid conditions with an open top in a cool dry room, is just nearly impossible. Its a whole lot of compromises and it is a downward spiral. The greater the surface area and the lower the sides the harder it is, but even in a tall sided aquarium with the top mostly covered, its still very difficult. I know this is a pain in the rear, but better to hear it now than months from now when your tortoise is pyramiding.

If you can growth them smooth to about 8", they will usually not start to pyramid after that point, even if conditions dry out a bit.

I hope we are able to help. Keep asking as many questions as you want. We are happy to explain all the details.

TortLaw

5 Year Member
Colorado
Other concerns aside, I think it's cute and cool how you have your little one in the rubbermaid in the bigger one's enclosure. Do they interact with one another through the rubbermaid "wall" when they see each other? I'm a new tort mom and only have one baby, but it's interesting to see that and consider doing that when I want to add more to the family, for size or quarantine purposes.

mhcl2241

5 Year Member
The Sulcata doesn't even notice the leopard. In fact, earlier I had them together in the enclosure while I changed out the substrate in the leopards tub and the Sulcata just walked right on top and over the leopard!!! Poor baby! I am going to have to do some shopping around to figure out how to make these changes!

Status
Not open for further replies.