New tortoise mom

Beamermom

Location (City and/or State)
Kenosha WI
Hi everyone, I recently inherited a 20-something Russian rock tortoise from a late friend. I’m familiar with hI’m, he knows my voice, etc.

He came out of hibernation recently and so was transitioned to my house. Same habitat, bedding and food. The day after he came to me, he burrowed down and is asleep again.

Is this likely due to the stress of his move?

Appreciate any advice for a new tortoise mom!

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Please post pictures of your tort and his setup. It will help us offer the best advice we can.

Beamermom

Kenosha WI

Attachments

• 32279F15-9E7A-4EEA-B075-FE7A73FDB0C7.jpeg
    32279F15-9E7A-4EEA-B075-FE7A73FDB0C7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 82
  • FFED7B19-4D81-42FA-A172-72BE17C19F3B.jpeg
    FFED7B19-4D81-42FA-A172-72BE17C19F3B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 81

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Never heard of a Russian rock tortoise, they are just russians.
As mentioned we do need pictures and a bunch more info in order to help. Temps humidity type of heat lighting diet and enclosure size and substrate

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What I can see in your picture you seem to have sand. Get rid of it, it causes impaction. He also needs a much bigger enclosure. Minimum of a 4x8 foot.
The water dish is too small. Needs to he big enough to fit in it. A clay saucer is the best.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Tortoises have excellent sense of smell...moving home is very stressful, even when the habitat has been transferred. Tortoises de-stress by burrowing and hiding until they decide the new environment is safe and healthful.

Dry, desert substrate is a misunderstanding of what tortoises are and how they originally evolved on Earth. In captivity, sand is often swallowed with food and will cause digestive blockages.

Heating, light, humidity, and diet must all come together in a balanced way for an animal to thrive.

This is the most appropriate care information for Russian tortoises:

Your new charge's beak is badly overgrown and needs trimming. Toenail clippers can be used to nip off the excess, or a dremel sanding tool (like those used for dog toenails) can be used:

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY

Give this a read. Its a great resource

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
What type of light is that? looks brighter on the outside ring as compared to the inside.

Beamermom

Kenosha WI
Never heard of a Russian rock tortoise, they are just russians.
As mentioned we do need pictures and a bunch more info in order to help. Temps humidity type of heat lighting diet and enclosure size and substrate
I only know what I’ve been told so thanks for the info. I uploaded pictures of his him habitat. I know nothing about the humidity and temperature of his area. He’s a picky eater, only likes a particular type of romaine lettuce and sometimes some fruit.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I only know what I’ve been told so thanks for the info. I uploaded pictures of his him habitat. I know nothing about the humidity and temperature of his area. He’s a picky eater, only likes a particular type of romaine lettuce and sometimes some fruit.
He should not eat fruit. It's too high in sugar for this species. Also romaine is not a good diet.
Read the threads linked for you and make needed changes. You have to be able to know the temps in order to take proper care. A russian fan have 60-65 at night. However needs a basking spot of 95-100 to properly digest its food and the rest of the enclosure should be 70-80 during the day. Humidity 30-50% for an adult.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most that came with him and that you were told and how he was kept before you is wrong and/or bad for him.
It seems very confusing and hard right now because everything needs to be changed.
Once you get everything corrected, it will be much easier.

Beamermom

Kenosha WI
What I can see in your picture you seem to have sand. Get rid of it, it causes impaction. He also needs a much bigger enclosure. Minimum of a 4x8 foot.
The water dish is too small. Needs to he big enough to fit in it. A clay saucer is the best.
It is not sand, a product called Desert Blend by Zilla. Ground English walnut shells. The enclosure he's in is a four feet in diameter. Not sure I can do anything larger. I wondered about the water dish.

Beamermom

Kenosha WI
He should not eat fruit. It's too high in sugar for this species. Also romaine is not a good diet.
Read the threads linked for you and make needed changes. You have to be able to know the temps in order to take proper care. A russian fan have 60-65 at night. However needs a basking spot of 95-100 to properly digest its food and the rest of the enclosure should be 70-80 during the day. Humidity 30-50% for an adult.
Romaine is all he's ever eaten and fruit maybe once or twice a year. The light is an incandescent day blue light, 100 watt, provides full spectrum light and UVA rays.

Beamermom

Kenosha WI
Tortoises have excellent sense of smell...moving home is very stressful, even when the habitat has been transferred. Tortoises de-stress by burrowing and hiding until they decide the new environment is safe and healthful.

Dry, desert substrate is a misunderstanding of what tortoises are and how they originally evolved on Earth. In captivity, sand is often swallowed with food and will cause digestive blockages.

Heating, light, humidity, and diet must all come together in a balanced way for an animal to thrive.

This is the most appropriate care information for Russian tortoises:d
'
Your new charge's beak is badly overgrown and needs trimming. Toenail clippers can be used to nip off the excess, or a dremel sanding tool (like those used for dog toenails) can be used:
Yes i know his beak is overgrown but I'd like him to settle in a bit before I do that.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. That was very kind of you to take the tortoise. I hope you read the care sheet and work on the changes as you can. It is a lot. He is cute ? enjoy

Beamermom

Kenosha WI
Welcome to the forum. That was very kind of you to take the tortoise. I hope you read the care sheet and work on the changes as you can. It is a lot. He is cute ? enjoy
Thank you, appreciate it but I've always liked Beamer. He belonged to my best friend who recently passed.
I'll read the sheet and also schedule a vet visit.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Romaine is all he's ever eaten and fruit maybe once or twice a year. The light is an incandescent day blue light, 100 watt, provides full spectrum light and UVA rays.
The romaine has to be changed. Get some of the darker greens from the store. Collards, some kale not a lot, mustard greens, endive, spring mix. Tortoise safe broad leaf weeds even better. Add more romaine then the other greens and chop it all up small. Spritz with water. As he eats this, slowly use less and less of the romaine. He is not getting a proper diet or nutrients from just romaine.
He also needs a uvb light. Very important he gets uvb. If you can give him an outdoor enclosure to live in 24/7 during the warm months he doesn't need a uvb light. The blue light can go it's not of any use. Get a ceramic heat emitter for when temps get below 60.
Sorry about your friend. All the info she got on this torts care is not good. It really needs to be changed including a bigger enclosure. Some people build a two level enclosure to give enough room. For the health of the tortoise to live his long life he needs all the changes everyone mentioned or linked for you.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Thank you, appreciate it but I've always liked Beamer. He belonged to my best friend who recently passed.
I'll read the sheet and also schedule a vet visit.
Welcome to the forum. All the care instructions are a lot to take in. Questions are welcome. We're here to help.

So sorry for your loss.

Mattesj

Spain
Hi everyone, I recently inherited a 20-something Russian rock tortoise from a late friend. I’m familiar with hI’m, he knows my voice, etc.

He came out of hibernation recently and so was transitioned to my house. Same habitat, bedding and food. The day after he came to me, he burrowed down and is asleep again.

Is this likely due to the stress of his move?

Appreciate any advice for a new tortoise mom!
My tortoise didn’t eat at first when I brought her home. They are cold blooded and do not need to eat much. Give her/him time to acclimate.