New tortoise, new questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedFootTanaka

5 Year Member
IMG_0393.JPGMy fiance and I just brought home a blonde leopard tortoise, Ella Tortsgerald.

She needs a beak trimming and a hug. We were wondering what is best for a substraight and what is the best way to get her beak down.

Also tips on diet would be great as well as heat and moisture levels. I'm guessing she needs similar heat and humidity as our sulcata. But please let me know if I'm wrong.

Thanks a bunch

Last edited by a moderator:

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That beak may need to be dremeled, or otherwise filed down mechanically. Otherwise it's a nice looking animal, imo.

RedFootTanaka

5 Year Member
Laura said:
nice thing to bring home.. :)
care is very similar to your sulcata.. but dont house them together.

Yeah they stay apart :) Especially since the sulcata is 9 inches and the Leopard is only 6.

But what are good humidity levels for the leopard. I was thinking 60 would be good. Some sites say keep them dry dry dry wile others suggest a bit of moisture. I was thinking 60 on the hygrometer would be nice as long as the tank stays at about 80 to 85 at night.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
There's something ya dont see on the Cape very often...Dremel will take 2 secs.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
A tortoise that size I wouldn't worry about humidity at all, whatever is normal for your area will be just fine. I'm in Arizona and about as dry as it gets, my juveniles and adults live outside year round and their shells grow smooth. Leopards and sulcatas have the same dietary requirements. Grasses, hey, weeds, greens in general are good, variety is key I think. Hydration is just as important as food. I would suggest a 5 - 10 minute soak twice a week.

Unless that tortoise can graze on grass and weeds when it warms up you might need to have his beak trimmed. Until then feeding him on slate or rock is a good idea. The tortoise looks very nice.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
RedFootTanaka said:
Laura said:

Yeah they stay apart :) Especially since the sulcata is 9 inches and the Leopard is only 6.

But what are good humidity levels for the leopard. I was thinking 60 would be good. Some sites say keep them dry dry dry wile others suggest a bit of moisture. I was thinking 60 on the hygrometer would be nice as long as the tank stays at about 80 to 85 at night.

Do you have a redfoot ?any pic's I seen your sully & a leo nice may I ask where you got the leo dont see them down hear in mass?

RedFootTanaka

5 Year Member
coreyc said:
RedFootTanaka said:
Laura said:

Do you have a redfoot ?any pic's I seen your sully & a leo nice may I ask where you got the leo dont see them down hear in mass?

I do have a redfoot. Her names Tanaka :)

Attachments

• IMG_0401 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0401 - Copy.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 8
Status
Not open for further replies.