New tortoise owner! Advice, Please

Jadeemma18

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool
Hello,

I have had my horsefield tortoise for a week now and I just wanted to make sure I am doing everything properly! The pet store I purchased him from have given me some details that say he (or she!) was born in 2016. We built our own open top table for him which we keep inside but I have since read that the glass enclosures are better as they keep the heat in more rather than the open tables. I am currently looking into getting something to keep over the top but if anybody could suggest anything that would be great?

We keep his table next to a radiator (which is kept on low) to keep it warmer, is this ok or should I move it away? I have put play sand, soil, stones and wood chip inside which is what the man in the pet store advised us to do. Is this right? The pet store didn't give me much advice at all other than feed him and turn the light on for 12 hours per day.

The light we are using is a 2 in 1. We have a heat mat for the night time that we place up against the back of the small house at the back which is where he goes of a night. Again, this is what the pet store advised and sold to us but if anybody else could offer any other advice or thinks this is wrong please let me know.

He seems to like eating his food underneath the lamp so this is where I keep putting it. He can get in and out of the food and water dishes ok which is good but I have put some stones in there (as I read on a thread on here) just in case.

I try to give him a soak at least once a day in a Tupperware dish, luke warm and shallow water as he's only tiny but he doesn't seem to want to stay in there for longer than 2/3 minutes. Should I keep him in there for longer? I just don't want to stress him out but obviously want to keep him hydrated.

Also, at what age (approx) will I be able to determine the gender?

Any advice or suggestions would be great!

Thanks

Attachments

• Tortoise 4.jpg
    Tortoise 4.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Tortoise 1.jpg
    Tortoise 1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Tortoise 2.jpg
    Tortoise 2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Tortoise 3.jpg
    Tortoise 3.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 45

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Forget most if not all the pet store told you they don't know much.
The sand is bad can cause impaction replace it with one of the other substrates you are using. He needs a uvb basking bulb that heats upto 95-100 under it. He needs some humidity around 50% and will need a 4x8 foot enclosure real soon.
Soak for 20-30 minutes. A piece of broccoli is not a good food source.
Please read the caresheet under the Russian section and make adjustments.
Broad leafy weeds/greens need to be fed.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Your enclosure looks nice but, that sand has to go, the hay will mold, russians don’t eat hay to my knowledge. Please read the info given to you. Pet stores are there to sell, and often give wrong info, as this one has. They also usually have wild caught torts. They tell you they are babies but usually they are not. If you could measure the shell on the bottom, that would give us a better idea of him size and somewhat age. Unless they gave you a hatch date. Please don’t get offended by the info you are given here. We have many experts that have raised torts for many years and will give you the updated info. We are here to help, not sell. Good luck

Jadeemma18

Liverpool
Thank you, I will get rid of the sand and replace with soil. We have wood chip not hay, is this ok? This is the information I got from the pet store

Attachments

• IMG_5302.JPG
    IMG_5302.JPG
    488.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5303.JPG
    IMG_5303.JPG
    489.4 KB · Views: 30

Jadeemma18

Liverpool
Today was the first day I was out all day and I came home to my tortoise on his back and in a shaded part of his enclosure so not sure how long he had been there for :( I turned him over and put him under the lamp and he seemed ok pretty much straight away but I obviously dont want it to happen again but with me being at work all day not really sure what else I can do?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Do you know what he flipped on?
Next time he flips over, don’t put him under the heat lamp.

Jadeemma18

Liverpool
There's literally nothing there other than the soil so I assume he's tried to climb the walls and flipped back. I only put him under it as I didnt know how long he had been there for and didnt want him to be cold but I wont if it happens again. How long are they usually ok for on their back and should I expect it to happen often? It's got me worried

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
How big is this enclosure? Tanks are no good for torts. Please forget what the petshop told you. Are you soaking your little one for 20-30min a day? It has to be in warm water.