Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lauren43201

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Crown Point, Indiana
Hey guys! This will be my first time owning a turtle or tortoise of any kind and i need some suggestions! I've been doing alot of research and need a little bit more help. So i have made a tortoise table measuring 4 feet long, 2 feet wide, and about 11 inches in depth. In my research i came down to two different types or tortoises and im stumped on which one would be better for my situation! Out of a Hermann Tortoise or a Russian Tortoise which one would be better for my enclosure size and my beginner experience? Im very fond of both, but i just dont know! haha, also please if you could post pictures of your tortoise table to give me an idea on how to set the whole thing up. Thanks a ton! :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I voted Hermanns, as they (to me) are just a much prettier animal. :cool: :D

I almost forgot, welcome!!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum...

I voted Hermanns only because I have to experience with Russians...

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
lauren43201 said:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! is my tortoise table too small for a hermann or will it be alright? :)

I think it would be fine but having a bigger outside enclosure is always a good idea..

lauren43201

5 Year Member
Crown Point, Indiana
Yes, in the summer im going to have one for him but where i live it's not hott often enough to have a permanant one.

lauren43201

5 Year Member
Crown Point, Indiana
dmarcus said:
lauren43201 said:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! is my tortoise table too small for a hermann or will it be alright? :)

I think it would be fine but having a bigger outside enclosure is always a good idea..
Yes, im going to give him an outside enclosure in the summer, but where i live it's not hott that often. :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Both are great species. Both will benefit from a larger enclosure when they are full size. Both should have a large outdoor pen for whenever the weather permits. And both are available from breeders, so you can avoid the problems associated with a wild caught one.

lauren43201

5 Year Member
Crown Point, Indiana
Tom said:
Both are great species. Both will benefit from a larger enclosure when they are full size. Both should have a large outdoor pen for whenever the weather permits. And both are available from breeders, so you can avoid the problems associated with a wild caught one.

Thanks! So far im leaning more for a Hermann. Im not gonna lie, the more i read about them on here, the more anxious i get! :D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Lauren- just FYI- until you have some history, your posts are moderated and are not shown until approved. This helps keeps bots and trolls away, and is explained in the Introductions section.

lauren43201

5 Year Member
Crown Point, Indiana
Madkins007 said:
Lauren- just FYI- until you have some history, your posts are moderated and are not shown until approved. This helps keeps bots and trolls away, and is explained in the Introductions section.

OHH. hahaha, now i feel stupid. i was wondering why my posts weren't going through! thanks a bunch! :p

yoda06 said:
Greek spur-theighed all the way :) don't get to big and are just amazing tortoises!! My input lol :) and there cute! You seen and pics??

oooh, i haven't yet heard that breed, i'll have to check them out! Thank you ! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.