New tortoise owner here

Helazbee

Location (City and/or State)
St.Helens
Hi guys I am now the proud owner of a tortoise I have been contemplating getting one for some time now. Unfortunately somebody couldn't keep their tortoise for some unknown reason and a 3rd party handed her over to me, so I've kind of rescued her. I have got a table and bought the correct equipment (as far as I am aware).I am new to this but I have also done a fair amount of research. Hoping you guys can help me provide a nice comfortable life for Elizabeth

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We'll need to know Elizabeth's species

Helazbee

St.Helens
Yes I believe she is a horsfield tortoise and apparently she's 4. She's roughly 5 inches long.
Personally I think she's older and I'm worried her shell isn't in the best shape.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Is that a red bulb you are using or is the tortoises' she'll pink in color?

Helazbee

St.Helens
No thats just refraction from the camera I think, its a white bulb and her shell is mainly yellow

Reactions: Ink

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Yep it is a russian, though not quite the prototypical example. Could you show us the rest of the enclosure pls?

It doent look too bad tbh, there is some pyramidding and the beak looks a little overgrown but there is nothing seriously wrong in the pic. As long a you get it right from here on out this tort will be in good shape.

Helazbee

St.Helens
Thats good then ill try my best. I'm going to move the lamp over to the left hand side of the table and rearrange. I've put 3-4 inches of damp sphagnum moss in her hide

Attachments

• 16108259746747441667580249381468.jpg
    16108259746747441667580249381468.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 55

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Thats good then ill try my best. I'm going to move the lamp over to the left hand side of the table and rearrange. I've put 3-4 inches of damp sphagnum moss in her hide
Take the moss out. Most torts eat it and it's a huge impaction risk. Just dampen the substrate in her hide.

Also, I think I see white pieces in her substrate. That is limestone, so if she eats it it supplies calcium. But it is also encouraging her to eat the substrate, which is also a huge impaction risk. Whoever came up with this hare-brained idea obviously is clueless about tort health.

Are you in St. Helen's in the USA or the UK? I don't know about availability in the UK, but you want to use coco chip or coir, orchid (fir) bark, or cypress mulch.

Helazbee

St.Helens
I'm in the UK, I have ordered some coco coir so just waiting on that then ill clean it out and replace substrate. How deep should I make it for her?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm in the UK, I have ordered some coco coir so just waiting on that then ill clean it out and replace substrate. How deep should I make it for her?
Around 4 inches, give or take. You put some in ,wet it, and pack it down hard with your hand. When that's done, put a layer on top that is damp but not packed so he can dig. Measure the 4 inches after you pack it.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Now for the challenging stuff, that enclosure is not big enough, I am guessing that habitat is about 2ft x 3ft in dimensions? Now is the time to start planning a long term enclosure that is quite a bit bigger. As a bare minimum these smaller torts need 4ft x 8ft, the ability to walk around is important to their metabolism. In a small space like yours the tort will also begin to climb the walls, or try to, and once it starts it will be near constant. Have a look at the enclosure threads here, there are a lot of options and they are not difficult to build either but for your tort long term you need to get it more space.

Have a look at the link below, it is a UK supplier that builds vivariums of a suitable size. I have also linked a grow tent option that uses a hydroponic grow tent for plants.

BIG VIVARIUMS Archives - Southdown Aquatics

Grow Tent Enclosure | Tortoise Forum

Last edited:

Helazbee

St.Helens
Ok ill look into sorting something bigger later in the year. I'm a carpenter so I can build her something larger. How wet does the wet compacted substrate be? I have been spraying the current substrate every couple of hours with a spraying bottle to keep humidy around 60%

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Ok ill look into sorting something bigger later in the year. I'm a carpenter so I can build her something larger. How wet does the wet compacted substrate be? I have been spraying the current substrate every couple of hours with a spraying bottle to keep humidy around 60%

I keep the whole volume of the substrate damp, like a well drained plant pot. The coco is very absorbant and can hold a lot of moisture, I quite literally use a watering can to wet the substrate. That is why it is important that any enclosure have a waterproof basin at least. I use pond liner in mine.

Last edited:

Helazbee

St.Helens
Also I will ask she hasn't been eating much at all. I've been putting a fresh sod of cress in every other day and giving her kale and rocket and a tiny bit off bell pepper but she doesn't seem to be into it. I've also been sprinkling a small amount of calcium powder on her greens too

Helazbee

St.Helens
Thank you, are you uk based? Do you find you can grow enough flowers/weeds to fulfill their diet requirements? Or where is the best place to get stuff during winter