New tortoise Owner

TortoisePal

Location (City and/or State)
Ca
I have been earning the money to get a Baby Russian Tortoise. The cute little creatures always attracted me, so I decided I wanted one of my own. I did the research on how to care for them, what they eat, what their habitat requires, all that fun stuff. Everything is set up except for the light. Thats one thing I have a question about. If I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it right. I have a window that gets hours of sun a day, Always open, Thats where the habitat is set up. Of course I will need the light In the winter as the window will be closed and he will be moved. But if the window is open and the sun gets let in, does he need the light while the window is open? Will he get the same Sunlight he would if he was outdoors?

daniellenc

Maryland
No UV will be filtered out and not provide what he needs. If you build an outdoor habitat that’s secure (they’re climbers and diggers) in warm months an hour a day would be sufficient but you’ll still need UV light in winter.

TortoisePal

Ca
No UV will be filtered out and not provide what he needs. If you build an outdoor habitat that’s secure (they’re climbers and diggers) in warm months an hour a day would be sufficient but you’ll still need UV light in winter.

Thanks :) I was planning on him being outside for at least 2 hours or more a day during the warm months

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Get one of the long tube florescent UVB lights.
Like an 18"
Don't let the pet store sell you the slightly less expensive compact, coil type UVB bulb.
Also, good for you for doing your research first.
My first tortoises and I had to learn everything the hard way!

TortoisePal

Ca
Get one of the long tube florescent UVB lights.
Like an 18"
Don't let the pet store sell you the slightly less expensive compact, coil type UVB bulb.
Also, good for you for doing your research first.
My first tortoises and I had to learn everything the hard way!

I actually have one of those lights in my closet from past reptiles! Except mines a 30". Do you know anywhere I can buy the bulbs? I cant find a place selling the right size.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I actually have one of those lights in my closet from past reptiles! Except mines a 30". Do you know anywhere I can buy the bulbs? I cant find a place selling the right size.
You can get an 18" fixture at Walmart, etc. for less than $10. (It comes with a tube that you can promptly throw away) I just googled the G.E 18" light at Walmart.com and it is about $12.
Then install a $20 10.0 reptile tube that is sold in any pet shop.
Where to find a 30" uvb tube, I can not say. But I imagine it will be more expensive.