New Tortoise Owner

pacoparrot

Location (City and/or State)
Throop, Pennsylvania
I went to my first reptile expo yesterday and ended up bringing home a male redfoot tortoise about the size of a football. I have him set up temporarily in a very large opaque storage container with wet ecoearth as bedding until I can build him a nice tortoise table. The warm season is over where I live so I will be building him a summer outdoor enclosure next year. He ate some spring mix and a grape when I first brought him home yesterday. I'm hoping he eats more tomorrow. What temperature should his backing spot be? Ambient temp of setup? Do I need to dust his food with calcium and reptile vitamins and how often if often? How about some pictures of tortoise tables so I can get ideas for building one?

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I’m not massively familiar with redfoots but from what I have learned over the last few months, I think it should be 80-85 all over the enclosure, some people don’t give their Redfoots a basking spot and some do, if you do I would aim for about 95. The key for Redfoots is humidity and you won’t achieve the required humidity in an open top table, you may need to build a closed chamber. I think you need a minimum of 80% humidity if not more.

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Redfoots are forest tortoises which means that they live in environments with lots of plant coverage. They really don't do any basking. Focus on your ambient temp being 80-85. As katie said, humidity is a big factor with Redfoots. You will want to achieve 80% humidity.

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Instead of calcium dusting, I would suggest using cuttle bone. This way, the tortoise can chew on the bone whenever he wants and it's good for keeping his beam trimmed.