New tortoise Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buehrle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Michigan
:tort: Hi there everyone...:tort:

We are the Buehrle Family. My husband and I are animal lovers and own multiple different kinds of pets...too many to list :p

We are currently in search for a tortoise to add to our family. We aren't certain what type yet. we have it narrowed down to either a Sulcata or Hermann's or a Redfoot. We live in southeast Michigan. So, we want something that can endure the winters that we get here plus the summer heat.

If you have any advice for us, we would be thankful.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! That's a wide variety of tortoises on your list. :) I would suggest not the sulcata due to how large they get and the amount of room it will need. You could do it in your climate, just would mean extra work and expense. Just something to think about.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome get a red foot they are awesome. I also have a sulcata your going to need a big indoor space .you got to keep the wellbeing of the tort in mind . A sulcata will get big maybe 100-150 lbs. A red foot much smaller but very active and easy to keep indoors in winter. I have no idea about the other tort on your list maybe someone can give some insight into that species.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Buehrle

5 Year Member
Southeast Michigan
I am also very interested in maybe a Leopard Baby. I do have a very large backyard and house. My only concern is how to keep a larger tortoise happy indoors during the winter.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That is the problem with the bigger tortoises. Most have a heated shed in the enclosure.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...i would suggest for your first tort either a Herrmann, russian, or a greek. They are smaller in size and easy keepers. And will work in your climate. Others are correct. Sulcatas dont work in your climate, unless you plan on spending lots of money for housing. Redfoots, are also pretty needy as far as temps, and humidity goes. They will require some expense also. Good luck on your decision...leopards require the same environment as a sulcata.

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
I would suggest a russian for a first tortoise... they are easy to take care of, tough, cute a good first-timer!:p

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I agree a Mediterranean tortoise - Russian,Herman's or Greek would be good. I have a Herman's and 4 RTs and they eat well all winter and do fine indoors. It's wet summers that create a challenge, keeping the outdoor habitats from getting too wet & cold.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
I have Hermann's and Red Foots and in my opinion the Hermann's are slightly easier to care for. The diet is easier as the fruit I get for my redfoot some times spoils before he eats it all, my hermann's greens last a bit longer. Also the red foots need a little more elaborate setup (closed chamber) to keep humidity up. So I would say a greek, hermann's or Russian would be best. Fir where you live DON'T get a sulcatta, they won't get enough time outside in your climate and there are always sulcattas up for adoption fr owners that can't care for them properly.

carey

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum :) From my own research, I'd say the Hermann's is going to be better because they are so much more durable and can withstand more ranges in temperature. I live in Philadelphia where we get cold winters and hot summers as well, I'd never get a sulcata (even though I want one so badly*_*) because there's just not enough space for it to live indoors 8 months of the year.

Think it through, keep us updated :) I'm new here too. I've learned quite a bit of crucial info about which tortoise I should get and I'm sure you will too!

~~

Status
Not open for further replies.