New Tortoise Parent

Manofwood

Location (City and/or State)
Savannah, Georgia
I recently got a baby sulcata, 1 month ago. He developed a respiratory infection from the shipping, that is what the vet thinks anyway. I have been giving him injections and he seems to be getting better. The question I have is, I’ve tried all types of greens, veggies, and fruit (in moderation), and can’t seem to get him to eat anything other than hay. Is this typical, or has anyone else seen this?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Welcome to TFO!

This is a great place to learn and ask questions... here's the first thing you should read.

I'd love to see pics of your tort!

Jamie

Manofwood

Savannah, Georgia
Welcome to TFO!

This is a great place to learn and ask questions... here's the first thing you should read.

I'd love to see pics of your tort!

Jamie

Attachments

• D870286F-CA5C-429F-B8BE-F13F70C97BBA.jpeg
    D870286F-CA5C-429F-B8BE-F13F70C97BBA.jpeg
    682.2 KB · Views: 2
  • A1698EFA-F573-4243-851F-EDB7A00F16D4.jpeg
    A1698EFA-F573-4243-851F-EDB7A00F16D4.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 3

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. Hopefully an expert will be able to help you. Cute tortoise.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
Make sure his temps are warm enough (see the caresheet Jamie posted) and if you post a picture of his enclosure you'll get good feedback to make sure it's safe and has everything he needs.
You'll find this useful too

Reactions: Ink

Manofwood

Savannah, Georgia
Hi and welcome,
Make sure his temps are warm enough (see the caresheet Jamie posted) and if you post a picture of his enclosure you'll get good feedback to make sure it's safe and has everything he needs.
You'll find this useful too
I use a heat emitter and a mercury vapor bulb for UVB and heat. The basking area is between 100° and 105°, with the rest of the enclosure graduating down to about 80° during the day. At night when the lights are out, it’s gets to approx 70° throughout the enclosure. It’s got some moss, hay, a hide, some plastic plants, and I use cypress mulch as a substrate.

Attachments

• E75403DD-0A3A-4177-9DD1-5673485CC410.jpeg
    E75403DD-0A3A-4177-9DD1-5673485CC410.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 75A1ED49-65C6-43D0-A950-580BF728D2F6.jpeg
    75A1ED49-65C6-43D0-A950-580BF728D2F6.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 38B5F109-FD5A-471F-AB2E-770E049C5491.jpeg
    38B5F109-FD5A-471F-AB2E-770E049C5491.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I use a heat emitter and a mercury vapor bulb for UVB and heat. The basking area is between 100° and 105°, with the rest of the enclosure graduating down to about 80° during the day. At night when the lights are out, it’s gets to approx 70° throughout the enclosure. It’s got some moss, hay, a hide, some plastic plants, and I use cypress mulch as a substrate.
MVB (all in one bulbs) aren't recommended anymore because they have been found to dry and damage tort shells, The uvb also seems to fade quickly so they need replacing more often. Any coiled or cfl type bulbs have also been found to damage eyes so avoid those. Many of us use T5 HO tube kits for uvb now with a separate flood basking bulb. I like Arcadia for both. Is your CHE run through a thermostat? That will keep temps even and make sure your tort doesn't overheat.
I think your night temps may be a little low for a baby tort who is sick so check the caresheet to see what is advised there for temps as well as diet, substrate etc.

Moss can cause impaction if ingested so I would remove that.
Pictures of his enclosure will help you get everything right and safe.

Reactions: Tom

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I believe you need an enclosed chamber for a baby, it can't be open topped. Not sure if you can maybe put something over the top, like plexiglass if that will work. Will defer to greater experts than myself.

Make sure not to use that resin bowl as a water bowl. those can be a death trap

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Every sentence from each previous poster here is good advice. You have gotten all the typical wrong products and bad advice previously. Please don't be mad at us for pointing this out. All we want is to see your tortoise healthy and for you to have a positive tortoise keeping experience. Please read through those linked threads. Everything you need to know is explained at length in them.

To recap:
1. Open topped enclosures cannot work. You can't maintain the correct heat and humidity in them. Further, those wooden ones are no good because the necessary constant moisture and humidity will rot them.
2. No ramped water bowls. Not for food either. Use terra cotta saucers sunk into the substrate instead.
3. No mercury vapor bulbs. They are unreliable, unsafe, and they cause pyramiding.
4. 70 degrees is way too cold at night. This is likely why your tortoise has the RI. No lower than 80, and ambient should rise into the low 90s each day, with a basking area around 100. With a tortoise that is already sick, keep the temp 85 or higher in the entire enclosure day and night.
5. Get rid of the moss. They will eat it, and it is an impaction risk. Same goes for the plastic plants.
6. No fruit. The sugars mess up their gut flora and fauna.
7. Hay is for adults and is a great sulcata food. Use orchard grass hay or Bermuda hay. Don't use Timothy. Hay is not appropriate for babies.

Read those threads of you want your baby to live. We will help. Questions are welcome.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome to you and your cute little tortoise.