New tortoise parents

Cosmothetortoise

Location (City and/or State)
California
We recently adopted a 7 year old sulcata tortoise. He seems to be adjusting well, but I have some concerns with his shell. Pieces of his shell are cracked. The rescue said he was surrendered with his brother and they may have scuffled. I’m not sure if these are scuff marks or shell rot. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1685.jpeg
    IMG_1685.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Greetings from LA. Where in CA are you (don't need an address but advice you'll get will be vey different for Newport Beach vs Sacramento climates).

Highly recommend this thread: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181504/. you can skip all the parts for babies since yours is, clearly not, a baby...

Looks like he has pyramiding, but its hard to tell from this photo how much. Can you try a side angle? many/most are not raised well so that's not too surprising.

Others like @Yvonne G and @Tom (also both in CA) can give better guidance. Glad you have him solo, one or the other was likely bullying the other.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Shell rot happens on the plastron, bottom shell and not usually on a sulcata. They are likely because he was improperly housed with another male that probably tried to mount him and things like the shell happens. Or he constantly rubbed it on a door way that was not big enough.
They are aren't anything to worry about as long as they don't get worse, which they shouldn't.

Cosmothetortoise

California
Greetings from LA. Where in CA are you (don't need an address but advice you'll get will be vey different for Newport Beach vs Sacramento climates).

Highly recommend this thread: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181504/. you can skip all the parts for babies since yours is, clearly not, a baby...

Looks like he has pyramiding, but its hard to tell from this photo how much. Can you try a side angle? many/most are not raised well so that's not too surprising.

Others like @Yvonne G and @Tom (also both in CA) can give better guidance. Glad you have him solo, one or the other was likely bullying the other.
Thank you I am located in the Central Valley between Bakersfield and Fresno. I did notice slight pyramiding. He’s eating and active. I was concerned with the big chips the white between the crevices.

Attachments

• IMG_1677.jpeg
    IMG_1677.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 3

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I think he looks pretty good. Also the white lines mean he is growing, so I understand from experts here!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those cracked areas in the centers of the scutes are likely caused by a heat lamp or CHE. Most people house and heat them incorrectly and this is the damage it does.

The white areas between the scutes is normal dry growth from our dry climate. You can run sprinklers and misters in hot weather and humidify the heated shelter for night time to help with that.

How are you housing him at night? They need a heated shelter like one of these:

Or these:

Its great to let them burrow in summer in your area too, but you have to catch them above ground in the fall before the nights start getting too cold, and make them spend the winter in their heated night box.