New tortoise with an issue

Dylanruenz

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
I bought "Fred", a 24" male sulcata 4 days ago and it's shell has some issues. Small bits of it are peeling and there is minor pyramiding in it. One of them pyramids is gone, it looks like it got knocked off so it is a rough tiny hole.

What can I do to help heal it? I want my tortoises healthy!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I bought "Fred", a 24" male sulcata 4 days ago and it's shell has some issues. Small bits of it are peeling and there is minor pyramiding in it. One of them pyramids is gone, it looks like it got knocked off so it is a rough tiny hole.

What can I do to help heal it? I want my tortoises healthy!

Hi Dylan Can you post pics to show us what you mean and so that members can help you?
Where is the hole - and can you see flesh/blood through it ?

It sounds like he is very dry.
If you can post some pics asap people here can advise on whether there is a risk of infection and if it will be OK to soak but wait to do that until you know for sure you're not going to make it worse. Pics of your enclosure will help too

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hard to say without seeing it.

Are you using and over head light bulb of some sort for night heat in a dog house type set up?

Dylanruenz

Phoenix, Arizona
Hard to say without seeing it.

Are you using and over head light bulb of some sort for night heat in a dog house type set up?
No, just shaded house that is all. When i purchased the tortoise he came like this. Any tips for improving shell healthy overall?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
AZ is very dry. They benefit tremendously from a burrow or underground shelter. Its too hot and dry above ground.

Post a pic of the shell so we can get a better idea of what we are talking about.

Dylanruenz

Phoenix, Arizona
AZ is very dry. They benefit tremendously from a burrow or underground shelter. Its too hot and dry above ground.

Post a pic of the shell so we can get a better idea of what we are talking about.
He is currently forming a burrow, I will try tomorrow

Dylanruenz

Phoenix, Arizona

Here is my healthier Female Sulcata eating on her dish. The white lines, are they growth marks? There is very little pyramiding.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25

Dylanruenz

Phoenix, Arizona
sounds like some sort of burn? (Not the pyramidding. just the damage)
image.jpg
Ok here is my sulcata that is healthier than my male. She also has those white lines. And she also has very little pyramiding, but I am concerned about the white lines. Also, what are some ways to improve overall tortoise shell health?

Dylanruenz

Phoenix, Arizona
Hi Dylan Can you post pics to show us what you mean and so that members can help you?
Where is the hole - and can you see flesh/blood through it ?

It sounds like he is very dry.
If you can post some pics asap people here can advise on whether there is a risk of infection and if it will be OK to soak but wait to do that until you know for sure you're not going to make it worse. Pics of your enclosure will help too

View attachment 140167
Ok here is my sulcata that is healthier than my male. She also has those white lines. And she also has very little pyramiding, but I am concerned about the white lines. Also, what are some ways to improve overall tortoise shell health?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is some very rough, erratic growth there. I get the same thing here. It comes from our dry climates. You can soak more often, offer humid hides, add misters and sprinklers to the area, create more shade, etc...

Dylanruenz

Phoenix, Arizona
That is some very rough, erratic growth there. I get the same thing here. It comes from our dry climates. You can soak more often, offer humid hides, add misters and sprinklers to the area, create more shade, etc...
Now here is my male... Partial damage. How can I help it?

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Now here is my male... Partial damage. How can I help it?View attachment 140181View attachment 140182

Move to South Florida and with a few years of new growth it will look better. Seriously.

That sort of ugliness seems to be very common in our climate. I get it too. I am combating it by making their heated night boxes more humid and spraying some water down into the burrow periodically. I also soak them regularly and try to get them into their mud hole often. I also spray them with the hose whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Dylanruenz

Phoenix, Arizona
Move to South Florida and with a few years of new growth it will look better. Seriously.

That sort of ugliness seems to be very common in our climate. I get it too. I am combating it by making their heated night boxes more humid and spraying some water down into the burrow periodically. I also soak them regularly and try to get them into their mud hole often. I also spray them with the hose whenever the opportunity presents itself.
My tortoises are 14.5" and 24", what do you use when you soak them and how long do you soak them for? Temperature of water?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I soak them in big tall sided opaque tubs. Usually 30-60 minutes for big ones. Water temp: "Warm".

Horse troughs can work.