new tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

tagreltracy

5 Year Member
Just brought my new Russian Tortoise home yesterday morning...I got him from someone on this board and it is just a few months old. I tried to post a picture of it, but I dont think it worked. Anyways, it is so adorable. He walked around in his new home for about a half hour and then promptly burried himself under the substrate in his hide log and is still there....should I just leave him there...it's been almost 24 hrs!

tagreltracy said:
Just brought my new Russian Tortoise home yesterday morning...I got him from someone on this board and it is just a few months old. I tried to post a picture of it, but I dont think it worked. Anyways, it is so adorable. He walked around in his new home for about a half hour and then promptly burried himself under the substrate in his hide log and is still there....should I just leave him there...it's been almost 24 hrs!

Attachments

• tortoise.jpg
    tortoise.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 73

Spn785

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Missouri
I'd leave him alone for the most part, give him a 15-30 min soak everyday, but beyond that he is just getting used to his new surroundings.

tickle

5 Year Member
Wow!what a cute baby Russian.give him a nice warm bath and try to feed him 20 minutes after.you can wake him.I really like him I have 2 new hatchlings also.they become so personal like puppies.how big is his enclosure?do you have everything you need?.what kind of uvb light? Ambient temp?basking temp?hide temp?what are you going to feed him/her?just asking so I no what you have.then I can help out much better that way.name?
Love the looks great healthy specimen.who bred it?

tagreltracy

5 Year Member
tickle said:
Wow!what a cute baby Russian.give him a nice warm bath and try to feed him 20 minutes after.you can wake him.I really like him I have 2 new hatchlings also.they become so personal like puppies.how big is his enclosure?do you have everything you need?.what kind of uvb light? Ambient temp?basking temp?hide temp?what are you going to feed him/her?just asking so I no what you have.then I can help out much better that way.name?
Love the looks great healthy specimen.who bred it?

Jwhite(John)is who I got it from. No name yet, I am kind of stuck on it! He is so tiny, about the size of a quarter!

He is in a rubbermaid tote for now, until the weather warms up and then we will build him a big tortoise table! I have a Powersun 160 Watt UVA/UVB and heat all in one bulb.

I am using the eco earth coco coir (in the brick form) for the substrate. The temps are 94-96 in the basking spot and about 72 in the cooler side, the temp is about 42-45% right now.

I have a few small rocks for him to climb over, a half burried tiny small terra cotta on its side, an extremely shallow water dish two pieces of slate (one to feed him on, one for him to bask on) and a half log hide for him (which he went into and burried himself completely under!) in his set up.

tickle

5 Year Member
I see he is in great hands you are going to love him wait till he comes running to ya.so cool.they love to dig.I set up some unground hides with plastic quart containers cut in half you no the ones you get wanton soup in.I run my Sink at 110 degrees f. And put my tortoises in my palm and let it run over his back everymorning like a shower and they love it.they arch there back drink a little sometimes also poo but it washes right away try it.name him Pikah.just sounds cool.post some more pics.mine absolutely loves chickweed and it grows everywhere.

jwhite

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
west milwaukee,wi
He/She is looking good. Hope it is getting used to his new surroundings. You can try taking him out of the substrate and putting him under his heat light and trying warm soaks. I know it is hard to leave them alone, but they sometimes need a couple of days to get used to new surroundings.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.