New trio of yellows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stev0623

5 Year Member
Not gonna lie, heard some things about yellows that made me question it, but man I love these guys.

Had them for a few days now.

This one has BEAUTIFUL scales!

d0817d87.jpg

f08321c5.jpg

The Female:

4866142c.jpg

The Male:

8d1d1417.jpg

I've been doing alot of reading, about the species as a whole. I read there are 2 different types of yellows. The normal ones, and the giants? I'm not quite sure though. Any info would be lovely :D

These guys seem really awesome, and if I had discovered them before red foots, who knows :p

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington TX.
They are absolutely beautiful. Good luck with them. I tried my hand at yellows and didn't have much luck. You will eventually learn how shy and sensitive they really are. I used to have a big group, but they were a bit too much for me to deal with. In Texas, it's either too hot, or too cold. They didn't do very well with such an unstable climate. My red-foots thrive in this weather, it doesn't seem to bother them at all. I hope that they do well for you. Make sure you keep them well hydrated, warm, and don't mess with them too much since they stress and get sick easily. Keep us updated.

-Matt

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
You have extremely gorgeous torts, but do keep in mind about what Matt said. Yellowfoots are much more sensitive to light and temperature fluctuations than the redfoots. The YF's are the true "rainforest" tortoises so they are adapted to live in a stable, low stress environment. But don't feel discouraged; they're still great tortoises if you can keep them correctly.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Congrats on your acquisition! Don't fret too much about the 'delicate' nature. They are somewhat more shy than RF's are but will come around nicely with slow deliberate interaction.

Be mindful that YF's are more agressive. They have a tendancy to flip each other on their backs which can spell disaster if it occurs in the morning before the sun gets too warm. Males & females can and do exhibit this agressive behavior. Most of the time they are able to right themselves but...

They also require more water and humidity than RF's and appreciate a soaking spot. They also eat like PIGS!

One other note. If you intend to breed them, it is best to keep them above 58 F. Being exposed to temperatures below that takes a toll on their fecundity.

Status
Not open for further replies.