redfoot or yellowfoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flkustom

5 Year Member
Hi guys, I am new here and so confused

I got my first tortoise a little over a week ago, The person my dad "adopted" it from said it was a russian cause that's what the petstore told them. Then after showing someone else I was told it was a yellow foot, Tonight I was sent this link http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/redfootcare.htm about the facial differences in reds vs yellows, and even though she has yellow spots and no red.. her facial markings look a lot more like the red than the yellow to me because she has the solid right above the nose but she also has the split right above that so I am confused

just looking for some opinions as I have NO clue about tortoises and am going by what I am told

here are some photos of my girl

60837203.jpg

imag0131dg.jpg

thanks guys for your time

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
What you have is a very rare species called the Russian Yellowredfeet tortoise. :cool: :D Just teasing. ;) :p Redfoot tortoises do not all have to have any red on them at all and are still redfoots. :cool: :D

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Hi,
Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of tortoises! My vote, based on an article on chelonia.org and pictures, is for Redfoot. I'm sure more experience keepers will chime in and correct me.

Take a look at the care sheet at the begining of this thread. It will get you started on the right path to enjoying your tort for many years!

flkustom

5 Year Member
haha thanks for the laughs! :) I keep google'ing images of yellow foots and their faces just don't look anything like hers, but the red foots do

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi flkustrom:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
flkustom said:
haha thanks for the laughs! :) I keep google'ing images of yellow foots and their faces just don't look anything like hers, but the red foots do

So are you in anyway sorry she is a redfoot?

flkustom

5 Year Member
not at all! I actually got excited when I was told she might be a red because I ordered a baby red foot last night lol and now if she is a red foot in a few years I can keep them together (maybe) and there will be no "mixing" of species

I found these

Yellow on left, Red on right of course
http://www.tortoise.org/assets/gcgdhead.jpg
http://www.tortoise.org/assets/gcgdplas.jpg

after comparing, everything seems to match up that she is a red

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Yep, definitely a red-foot. They are awesome animals! I love yellow-foots and even have a couple of them, but they are way more sensitive than red-foots. They can stress easier and die from it. You would have to raise one from a hatchling in most cases for it to be comfortable with you.

-Matt

flkustom

5 Year Member
I wondered about that Matt, everyone told me *most* yellow foots are shy and timid and harder to keep. She took about a day to warm up to everyone and now she is so social and isn't very afraid of anything. I also had read what you said about them stressing easier, I changed her environment COMPLETELY when she went from her new home to this one (her old situation was NOT a good one) and it really only took her about a day to settle in completely and start bathing in her new wade dish and get comfortable

Status
Not open for further replies.