New Turtle Pond

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
I could try. The only thing is I've tried twice now and neither time worked out because they've fought the newcomers. I'd feel terrible if you sent him all the way here and I couldn't keep him.

That was just my weird way of completing you on your your pond...:cool:...I just got him set up nicely, 175 gallons, but no plants yet...I'm working on it...

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That was just my weird way of completing you on your your pond...:cool:...I just got him set up nicely, 175 gallons, but no plants yet...I'm working on it...
Gotcha, haha. I get plants on eBay. Super cheap and you can find anything you want.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
In fact I've got a new male slider right now who's gotta go. He's as mean as a hornet.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Gotcha, haha. I get plants on eBay. Super cheap and you can find anything you want.

I have the hella green thumb and a house full of plants...thx
I love RES...I had a female named Scruffy because she had been chewed by a dog and was missing parts. I had her for 100 years and took the best care of her possible...I loved her...but she was mean as a snake and would have bitten my hand off at the shoulder. I finally put her in Y's pond...to fight with that giant Argentinian thing she has...lol...I think he ate her...

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I have the hella green thumb and a house full of plants...thx
I love RES...I had a female named Scruffy because she had been chewed by a dog and was missing parts. I had her for 100 years and took the best care of her possible...I loved her...but she was mean as a snake and would have bitten my hand off at the shoulder. I finally put her in Y's pond...to fight with that giant Argentinian thing she has...lol...I think he ate her...
I've only got one male. He's almost two. He gets along well so far. I don't think he's old enough to do the deed this year though. He's a regular slider. My 3 females are HET for albino. The male I picked up recently is HET too but he is mean as hell. I tried introducing him with the ladies several times but it's a no go.

Relic

Here
Yep, I learned next time get a more study one. This one is a kitchen can and it's real flimsy. Almost has to be completely empty of water before you can move it.
My first filter was a Brute by Rubbermaid. Very thick and stout, but the curves made it harder to get bulkhead fittings watertight. Now I have a bit larger outdoor trashcan with wheels, but squarish. I put a drain fitting at the bottom for draining and cleaning. Works like a charm.

Texas
This was the first version
Same basic idea except the water comes out the top on the new one and I used a garbage can instead of bucket.
Awesome man good stuff! Do you know how much whole setup cost you to make? I currently have two high orange mississippi map turtles that are hatchlings that I would like to save up money for this

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Awesome man good stuff! Do you know how much whole setup cost you to make? I currently have two high orange mississippi map turtles that are hatchlings that I would like to save up money for this
The pool ponds are pretty reasonable. All this including the uvb lights, plants, substrate, filter, even the led plant lights and fixture probably ran me about 350-400.

L

LasTortugasNinja

I know nothing about turtles or keeping them in water, how do you keep the water clean? Is there a huge filter? I found it hard enough keeping a fish tank clean [emoji51]

When I was a kid, we had a family friend that custom-built ponds, aquariums and terrariums for commercial uses such as doctor office lobbies, etc. For a small pond or aquarium (100 gal) with turtles, he'd use a few filtration canister systems that would normally be used for 200 to 500gal aquariums! That's how filthy turtles are, especially if you do the pellet feedings!

Texas
Yes, shockingly I ended up finding 2. One in the pond and one walking around in my basement the next day lol.View attachment 294212
Freaking awesome! What's the breeding trio ratio how many males to females? Also, do you have a dry land where they lay eggs or?? Sorry I'm getting into breeding turtles and I'm very curious, my babies are pretty young so far!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Freaking awesome! What's the breeding trio ratio how many males to females? Also, do you have a dry land where they lay eggs or?? Sorry I'm getting into breeding turtles and I'm very curious, my babies are pretty young so far!
I've got 3 females and 1 male slider. My male is only 2, so this was a surprise. I built the new land area at the beginning of March so they must have layed eggs right away.IMG_20200502_180843198_HDR.jpg

Texas
I've got 3 females and 1 male slider. My male is only 2, so this was a surprise. I built the new land area at the beginning of March so they must have layed eggs right away.View attachment 294230
I'm assuming that's a plastic tub place on a plywood on some wood beams right? Please let me know how you made this. I'll take a picture of my setup tomorrow but it's nothing like this. Also, what's the dimensions of your pool and how many gallons does it hold? Can you link me to the pool pond?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm assuming that's a plastic tub place on a plywood on some wood beams right? Please let me know how you made this. I'll take a picture of my setup tomorrow but it's nothing like this. Also, what's the dimensions of your pool and how many gallons does it hold? Can you link me to the pool pond?
Your correct. It's an Iris Xmas Tree Tote that is sitting on top of bricks so that it's level with the pond. It's filled with potting soil then a layer of sand. The pool is made by bestway, they make several sizes. If I had to do it again I'd probably use a pond liner too because I have heard they can leak over time. Just to be safe. I seem to be having trouble finding the size I have but this is the company. https://m.bestwaycorp.us/Brand/Index?Page=Above_Ground_Pools_Accessories I think mine is about 350ish gallons

Texas
Your correct. It's an Iris Xmas Tree Tote that is sitting on top of bricks so that it's level with the pond. It's filled with potting soil then a layer of sand. The pool is made by bestway, they make several sizes. If I had to do it again I'd probably use a pond liner too because I have heard they can leak over time. Just to be safe. I seem to be having trouble finding the size I have but this is the company. https://m.bestwaycorp.us/Brand/Index?Page=Above_Ground_Pools_Accessories I think mine is about 350ish gallons
thanks man! If it wouldn't be too much of a problem, could you perhaps measure the length and width whenever you have time? You're a beast my guy hoping to make one of these for my albino res and het albino RES