new update on MBD

M

Maggie Cummings

I personally believe that 24 hours of light is harmful to them, especially a sick tortoise. 24 hrs of UVB is not any different than 12 hours. They can only absorb so much UVB. I don't mean to go against a Vet's advice, but a cooler dark period is important to recovery also. Sleep is important to recovery, especially to a young tort like yours. I'm not a professional, just using my own experience with tortoises. Please keep us posted...

Hillygirl

Location (City and/or State)
Bonham Tx
its a flood bulb I don't remember the watts and everything if its important I can find the box and let you know.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Good luck with your tort. I once cared for a small Aldabra with similar issues (actually 3, but only 2 survived by the time I got them). They both had very soft shells, especially the plastron. In Florida at the time, they were kept out doors 24/7 & fed cactus daily. Weekly soaks & monthly weights. Calcium was also sprinkled on the diet, however I do prefer the liquid ca gluconate to the powder. It took many many months, but they did improve. Shells hardened, weight improved, & overall health looks good now. They were definitely on the brink, but turtles are amazingly resilient. Hope my experience gives you hope for your guy. Good luck