new winter home for my CDT's

Status
Not open for further replies.

68merc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
I enclosed the shelf on the bench I built last fall. There is a 48" T8 fixture and a MVB for the daytime and a 75 watt black light for the night. If black light isn't enough heat ill add something....
2011-10-08_17-53-18_45.jpg

2011-10-08_17-53-07_777.jpg

2011-10-08_18-20-13_170.jpg

I have a seed tray planted with Russian seed mix from CPS. Ill plant another tray in two weeks so I can swap them out.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Very nice set up for the little ones....if mine were little that would be something I would TOTALLY copy :D:D:D:D:D

I do have one question though? :p What do you use for their air exchange?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow, Murray: They've really grown since the last time I saw them. I like what you've done to the tort table, but I wonder if the doors are in the way when you open them.

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
Torty Mom said:
You are not going to hibernate them? I am undecided on what my plans are for the troop.

They are just a year old, so im just going to keep them up. Just seems to be the right thing to do.

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
emysemys said:
Wow, Murray: They've really grown since the last time I saw them. I like what you've done to the tort table, but I wonder if the doors are in the way when you open them.

The doors open 180° and are out of the way.

My Russians will be in boxes under this table. Im not sure what im going to do with the Hermanns. He seems light and I don't have anyone to compare him to.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
68merc said:
Torty Mom said:
You are not going to hibernate them? I am undecided on what my plans are for the troop.

They are just a year old, so im just going to keep them up. Just seems to be the right thing to do.
Mine are a year old too. Except the person who had Marley before me hibernated him, and he was just hatched! Scary!! I don't know what I am going to do! UGH! I am running out of time to decide.......

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
I changed the hide and thought I'd post a pic. I made 2 of them but don't know if ill put the second one in. The half plastic pot is 5" tall and they can go back in a full 12"
2011-10-09_18-18-48_454.jpg

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Very nice. They're going to be very happy there. :)

kameya

10 Year Member!
Orange County, California
Looks very professional...love the yellow kayak you have on the side...I've also got one sitting in my garage... ^_^

B

byerssusan

68merc said:
I enclosed the shelf on the bench I built last fall. There is a 48" T8 fixture and a MVB for the daytime and a 75 watt black light for the night. If black light isn't enough heat ill add something....
2011-10-08_17-53-18_45.jpg

2011-10-08_17-53-07_777.jpg

2011-10-08_18-20-13_170.jpg

I have a seed tray planted with Russian seed mix from CPS. Ill plant another tray in two weeks so I can swap them out.

Just curious here..If you do not let them hibernate doesn't that or won't that effect there mental, physical health? I have no clue. I have been wanting a desert tortoise but that was one of my concrens was the hiberanting periods. Just curious here

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
byerssusan said:
Just curious here..If you do not let them hibernate doesn't that or won't that effect there mental, physical health? I have no clue. I have been wanting a desert tortoise but that was one of my concrens was the hiberanting periods. Just curious here
From everything i have read keeping them up will not have any effect on them one way or another. I have read that lots of people that adopt tortoises late in the season and are not sure about the health of the tortoise don't let them hibernate. With these two im sure they are healthy but i think (based on everything iv'e read) that keeping them up will give them a much better start in life. It is my plan to let them hibernate their 3rd winter and there ever-after.

Status
Not open for further replies.